Female Guppies heavily breathing?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rileymc

Aquarium Advice Regular
Last night I moved my four female guppies to a fake planted 20 gallon high tank. The orange tail is 22 days old, the yellowtail is 19 days old, and the other two are only like 16 days old. None have given birth yet to my knowledge. They don't seem to be very large, they have somewhat squared stomach. Their gravid spots appear during the day, go away at night, then reappear after an hour in the light again. Three are breathing very heavily and aren't moving around too much. Their fins are heavily fidgeting in place. What is happening?

Here is my tank set up (before the guppies were added)

IMG_7173.jpg

Thanks!

Hi,

Is your tank cycled?

Have you rinsed your filter pad in straight tap water?

Do you know the numbers of your water parameters?
Ammonia
NitrIte
NitrAte
pH
GH
KH
Temp
Test the water before the pwc (at least just save a cup of water in a zip bag to test later). And then just another test after the pwc.

Do a 30-50% pwc and see if they are breathing better, if not, do another one.

Feed lightly. They are likely pregnant but they will be so huge and square looking you will maybe be able to see the babies eyes inside the mamas.

At less than three weeks they probably aren't even sexually mature. At that age they're probably still less than a centimeter long. Do you know their dam?

Also, yes, test your water.

Last edited:
At less than three weeks they probably aren't even sexually mature. At that age they're probably still less than a centimeter long. Do you know their dam?

Also, yes, test your water.

I bought them from my LFS three weeks ago. They already had all their full colors when I got them and had gravid spots so I'm sure they were sexually mature

Back
Top Bottom