few identification

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

funzy021

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Here's a link of a picture of my new tank... picture was to big to post here :cry: ( http://studio412.ca/tank.html ). There are few thing that I would like to know if it's good or bad (things in circles).

The first one on the left circle looks like small palm trees.

The one in the middle looks like green leatuce. It was there when I purchased the rock but it didn't seems to expend. I noticed that there is white stuff that start growing on the same rock and it started to grow on that green thing

And the right one looks like small soft green hair. The first time I put the live rock, there was just a little bit on one spot. Now, there are more spots on the same rock but not on others.

I also include a picture of my first coral :D that i bought yesterday but I can't remember the name... :oops:

Tank looks great (y)
Link edited to remove the acronym...

The left pic looks like a brown macro algae similar to sargassum. The middle pic is a little dark but could be wafer algae, wafer coralline or type of halimeda algae, hard to be sure. The last pic to the right is nuisance hair algae and should be removed.

The coral is a star polyp.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks!! :D I think you got all right. The middle one looks more like the halimeda algea picture and the coral looks like the 3rd picture on the links you posted (Briarium violacea).

But for the hair algae, how should I removed this?

The common name for the coral is green star polyp and I also noticed they spelled the latin name wrong, it should be Briareum violacea.

The hair algae should be eliminated using multiple means. First and foremost is manual removal. The shorter you can keep it cropped, the easier it will be for natural herbavors to do the rest. Best means for this is a new toothbrush. Using the toothbrush, twirl the algae in the bristles like a fork in spaghetti. Once it is well wrapped, it will be easy to yank out. It also help in ot spreading it this way, less stray pieces. Lefthanded/zebra hermits (Calcinus laevimanus) are best with this type of algae but any animal used will ignore if too long so it is important to keep it cropped.

You should also check the levels of PO4 in the tank and top off water being used to ensure it's favorite fuel source is not being continually added. Without the neccessary nutrient, using manual removal and adding herbavor animals; it should be gone in no time.

Cheers
Steve

You're awesome!!!! :D

I'll check my phosphate levels in both my tank and my distilled water and try to remove the algae.

Are my crews enought to do the job after? I got 2 red hermits, 4 blue leg hermits and 4 astrea snails.

funzy021 said:
Are my crews enought to do the job after? I got 2 red hermits, 4 blue leg hermits and 4 astrea snails.
How big is the tank and age of the set up?

General rule of thumb is 1 "critter" for every 1-1½ gal of tank. For newer tank it is best to start with less (<½) and add more if needed. Also try getting a better mix of snails as well. Each will do a better job in a given area of the tank. I am not a big fan of true Astrea snails. They cannot right themselves and are easy prey for hermits and more aggressive fish types.

Nassarius great for detritus and the sand bed.
Nerite especially good at film algaes..
Cerith cleans both the glass and the sand bed..
Margarita another excellent algae eater...
(the links above are purely for identification only, not an e-tailer recommendation)

Hermits are still the best for most macro algaes and as I said, zebra's have proven the best (to me) if available to you. If not, try getting red scarlet hermits (Paguristes cadenati), the ones with the yellow eye stalks.

Cheers
Steve

I have a 20g tank running for 4 weeks now.

Is it possible that the hair algae was already on the rock when I purchased it and it's not a problem with my water? Like I said, there is only one rock that have this type of algae

funzy021 said:
I have a 20g tank running for 4 weeks now.
At 4 weeks the tank has just finished cycling (?) and you should not be adding animals too quickly. I would start with about 5-10 more mixed animals as the tank progresses and see how that goes.

Is it possible that the hair algae was already on the rock when I purchased it and it's not a problem with my water? Like I said, there is only one rock that have this type of algae
More than possible it came in with the rock and may not spread beyond that providing the water specs check out. You will still need to take steps to eliminate it though. Once established it can linger for a time but if manually removed and the critters are there it should be easily eliminated.

Cheers
Steve

ok. thanks for all the advices.

I'll follow what you suggested and let you know what will happen.

Thanks a lot!! :D

Back
Top Bottom