Fiddler Crab Molting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xc800

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Can someone please exlpain the molting process? Like how it starts and exactly what happens. I have had one crab in my 5-gallon tank for about a month,and I did notice he is getting some what bigger. The other day I noticed that his small claw was completly gone. I am worried cause I thought they lost their large claw first. Is this normal? Please help
Thanks

Hi there to a fellow Pittsburger! :wave: Welcome to Aquarium Advice! :multi:

I don't know anything about fiddler crabs, but hopefully someone will come along soon with an answer for you!

I had a fiddler that molted. I thought he was dead, just saw an opaque-flesh colored exoskeleton on my gravel. A week later he emerges, happier and fuller than ever. I'm not sure about the process. If your crab is missing a claw, I'm not sure that is due to molting. I would imagine it all happens at once . . .

Just make sure your tank is completely covered, because mine eventually crawled his way out and became a toy for my cat!!!! (after surviving co-existance with 2 green spotted puffers ~ amazing!)

Make sure you are feeding a good crab diet, that contains the vitamins and calcium they need to have a good strong shell. If he is missing a claw he will get it back, AFAIK. They need some place to hide while their new exoskeleton is hardening, because they are extremely vulnerable during that time, and they will be more comfortable with good cover even if there is no predator to worry about.

That's about all I know! HTH

Back
Top Bottom