fiddler crab vs shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I rescued a fiddler crab and he lived in a tank with a bunch of ghost shrimp and other fish. The shrimp were fast enough to get away from him although I can't say that that would have always happened. I LOVED that crab, but he escaped from the tank at least 20 times regardless of what I did during the course of a year. He escaped one last time and I was unable to find him before he died.

I got another after him that did the exact same thing. Crab-proofing an aquarium is a big challenge :). They like using the powercords for the heaters and filters to get out. Mine particularly liked sitting in the flow outlet of my HOB. I never figured out how he always managed to escape. They are talented little guys.

I would go with shrimp for sure. :D

Sorry but my fiddler crab is happy as a clam in freshwater so are my other brackish fish. Since much about brackish fish is relatively unknown, it's very much subjective. You can't tell me it won't work because I have some brackish fish who would beg to differ and I know many others who also have brackish fish in freshwater doing quite well.

But not living their full life span!!!!! It's sad that you can do this to these animals.

Doing research will tell you that fiddlers are pure brackish water crabs. If freshwater works for you, then keep them in freshwater. Will those crabs live up to their full life span? Research says no, but let us know what will happen to your crab because maybe you got some exceptionally healthy crabs.

ghost shrimp are fine in brackish water,i had some in a 10 gallon fiddler crab tank for a couple months,and they did just as good,if not better,than some ive kept in fw.

Doing research will tell you that ghost shrimp and amano shrimp are pure freshwater shrimps. If brackish water works for some of you, then keep them in brackish water. Will those shrimps live up to their full life span? Research says no, but let me know what will happen to your shrimps because maybe you guys got some exceptionally healthy shrimps.

Both cases are research vs experience.
("research" meaning online research about the particular species)

Sorry but my fiddler crab is happy as a clam in freshwater so are my other brackish fish. Since much about brackish fish is relatively unknown, it's very much subjective. You can't tell me it won't work because I have some brackish fish who would beg to differ and I know many others who also have brackish fish in freshwater doing quite well.
your going to kill them.

Doing research will tell you that fiddlers are pure brackish water crabs. If freshwater works for you, then keep them in freshwater. Will those crabs live up to their full life span? Research says no, but let us know what will happen to your crab because maybe you got some exceptionally healthy crabs.

Doing research will tell you that ghost shrimp and amano shrimp are pure freshwater shrimps. If brackish water works for some of you, then keep them in brackish water. Will those shrimps live up to their full life span? Research says no, but let me know what will happen to your shrimps because maybe you guys got some exceptionally healthy shrimps.

Both cases are research vs experience.
("research" meaning online research about the particular species)
actually,the ghost shrimp i kept in brackish waterlived longer than most ive kept in freshwater.

The fiddler crabs we buy in fish stores are wild caught specimens from brackish waters in Florida. If you refuse to keep them properly, I feel sorry for your crabs. I'm sorry but your argument is so ridiculous it's not even worth my time to correct you.

Sorry to be rude and short, but you're telling us you're keeping your pets improperly and that you apparently think that's just fine and I have no patience for that type of attitude.

I rescued a fiddler crab and he lived in a tank with a bunch of ghost shrimp and other fish. The shrimp were fast enough to get away from him although I can't say that that would have always happened. I LOVED that crab, but he escaped from the tank at least 20 times regardless of what I did during the course of a year. He escaped one last time and I was unable to find him before he died.

I got another after him that did the exact same thing. Crab-proofing an aquarium is a big challenge :). They like using the powercords for the heaters and filters to get out. Mine particularly liked sitting in the flow outlet of my HOB. I never figured out how he always managed to escape. They are talented little guys.

I would go with shrimp for sure. :D

I wonder, were you giving them land access? The first time I ever had fiddlers, I knew next to nothing about them and wasn't giving them access to land. Of course they were just miserable..desperately needing to air out, and would often escape. Once I provided them a proper tank with land access and brackish water, I have never even had one try since. :D Of course some are probably just escape artists no matter what you do but just wanted to make sure ;)

Ghost shrimp are actually brackish water critters that are sold as freshwater. They are found along the Gulf Coast in brackish marshes, rivers and brackish-water bays. They can adapt to FW, but they don't thrive there. That is one reason that they don't usually live long in FW, at least not IME. The same as crabs that are sold as "freshwater".

Remember that most critters will breed only under optimal conditions. They may lay their eggs elsewhere, but only reach breeding condition in a favorable environment.

Therefore, unless your crab makes a tasty treat of them, they should both be fine in a BW environment.

BTW, except for Thai Mini Crabs, and maybe 1 or 2 others, all other crabs are BW or SW critters. They may live for a time in FW, but will remain stressed while they are, are more susceptible to disease and they won't live for very long.

siva said:
The fiddler crabs we buy in fish stores are wild caught specimens from brackish waters in Florida. If you refuse to keep them properly, I feel sorry for your crabs. I'm sorry but your argument is so ridiculous it's not even worth my time to correct you.

Sorry to be rude and short, but you're telling us you're keeping your pets improperly and that you apparently think that's just fine and I have no patience for that type of attitude.

Nice refute dawg, your getting stuff done

your going to kill them.

That's your FUD opinion with no basis in fact. I happen to know they will do just find, more than fine actually. I'll let you know a few years from now how Mr crabs is doing, what are you going to tell me then that it was luck ? lol Yeah that's what it was.:rolleyes:

plecoking said:
That's your FUD opinion with no basis in fact. I happen to know they will do just find, more than fine actually. I'll let you know a few years from now how Mr crabs is doing, what are you going to tell me then that it was luck ? lol Yeah that's what it was.:rolleyes:

Too bad he'll be dead in a few years

Skiweeangel did you decide what you're going to do? I'm not sure if you ever replied, is your tank brackish?

I have done extensive research specifically on crabs. In the past I had tried to keep them in a FW environment and they never lived for very long. Before anyone asks, yes I did provide a place for them to haul out of the water. Since I try to take good care of my critters, I tried to find out why they weren't doing well. I adored my little guys, they were awesome.

In all of the research I could access I found that nearly all crabs are SW or BW creatures. The information I studied included scientific papers and several specialized sites devoted specifically to invertebrate care.

From my own experience, and the experiences of people I corresponded with, the crabs sold as FW actually require a BW environment for their best health. I can't explain why anyone would say that they thrived in a FW environment, when that is contrary to everything I know about them. I suppose that it might be just barely possible that it's from an excessively salty diet, but I rather doubt it.

Thai Micro Crabs have become so valuable to many hobbyists precisely because they are one of the few very rare crabs that are truly a FW species. I believe I've read that there may be 1 or 2 more species of FW crabs as well, but they are a relatively new discovery and not common yet.

Animals that live in SW/BW environment require that salt to survive. Their kidneys have adapted to constantly dump the excess salt normally found in their native environments. When deprived of SW/BW they eventually lose more salt then they take in and die of salt deficiency. They must live in an environment where they constantly take in salt from the water they live in to replenish what they've lost. They can't get what they need from their food the way FW fish can. This is a process called Osmoregulation and the pressures that exist between SW and FW are different and dependent on salt content. All animals require at least some salt for many vital metabolic processes or they will die.

Fiddler Crabs may spend a lot of time out of the water, but do need to return to the water occasionally. The water they return to must be at least BW for them to remain healthy. Like I said above, they only breed in BW/SW for a reason.

Not trying to start an argument here, or call anyone a liar, I'm just stating what my research and experiences over many years has shown me. There's no need for any of us to get mean or hateful about this. The best way we can learn new things is by reasonable discussion, not argument.

I also second siva's question above.

Not trying to start an argument here, or call anyone a liar, I'm just stating what my research and experiences over many years has shown me. There's no need for any of us to get mean or hateful about this. The best way we can learn new things is by reasonable discussion, not argument.

Top notch research (y) and you typed the words right out of my mouth!

Yes. Fiddlers are a brackish species. It's a fact, plain and simple.

Thai micro crabs are neat because not only are they FW, they are also completely aquatic, requring no land access. Unfortunately, I have not found them to be very hardy. They are the only FW crab in the trade I know of that can thrive in an aquarium.

There are other FW crabs out there that are often sold for aquariums improperly. Vampire crabs is one that my lfs sells. Though these are a true freshwater crab, they are terrestrial, and cannot thrive in an aquarium setting.

Thai micro crabs are neat because not only are they FW, they are also completely aquatic, requring no land access. Unfortunately, I have not found them to be very hardy.

I'm sorry to hear that siva. I know how much you wanted them. You'll need to start another thread to tell us about your experiences with them.

Well if there's one thing I've learned is much of the information I've read on all things fish, both my tank and inhabitants seem to contradict. The thing I found was that fish adapt and yes they do thrive if healthy. Contrary to popular belief, there are many contradictions in fish data, I let experience be my guide.

It's never so black and white, it depends on the fish and the environment. You can't tell me my crab won't do well when he in fact is very well adjusted. Instead, you should just be happy for me and say good job mr crabs.

I have several fish that contract the warnings and I know others who have the same experience. It's all relative to your unique experience with the fish you have.

I appreciate the warnings but they have no validity, not with my crab or my tank but thanks anyway.

Well if there's one thing I've learned is much of the information I've read on all things fish, both my tank and inhabitants seem to contradict. The thing I found was that fish adapt and yes they do thrive if healthy. Contrary to popular belief, there are many contradictions in fish data, I let experience be my guide.

It's never so black and white, it depends on the fish and the environment. You can't tell me my crab won't do well when he in fact is very well adjusted. Instead, you should just be happy for me and say good job mr crabs.

I have several fish that contract the warnings and I know others who have the same experience. It's all relative to your unique experience with the fish you have.

I appreciate the warnings but they have no validity, not with my crab or my tank but thanks anyway.
from thge research i re cently did on halloween crabs,i found out that fiddler crabs,like other brackish species(possibly halloween crabs,theres like no info on them) have specially developed organ(forget which) to ditch as much salt as possible,and in a freshwater enviroment,where they dont get a lot of salt,they ditch too much and die(they need some salt to live)

Back
Top Bottom