Fighting Marine Velvet

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

robertfah

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is supposed to go in the Sick Fish Forum, but it seems like 99% of the members come in here and respond more in this forum. Ata any rate, my tank's got a bad case of Marine Velvet. What I thought was Ich at first has taken 4 of my fish in the past 3 weeks and my 4 Tangs are now Qted with the same issue. How can I get rid of this? I know copper is used in the Qt but what about my main tank? I've got inverts in there (no LR) so should I just leave it fallow for a couple of months doing periodic wc's?

Anyone else battle this crap and have luck with a remedy?

TIA,

RDF

I had a case of marine velvet in my tank. Time is what you need. You have to wait for the parasites to kill themselves off, by way of going through their lifecycle without hosts to propagate reproduction. I waited almost 6 weeks just to make sure. Its rough I know, but have patience. Keep an eye on the fish in the QT...just to make sure there are no reoccurrences.

That sounds about the norm. I've heard everywhere from 4 to 8 weeks. I guess I'll leave them in the QT for 2 months just to make sure the parasites are gone. I hate waiting that long to put them back in my tank, but atleast it will give me time to save for some more LS and LR which I've been meaning to get.

Thanks for all the help.

hey heres a question can corals, or anemones get a parasite like itch if its present in your tank? just curious

hey heres a question can corals, or anemones get a parasite like itch if its present in your tank? just curious

From what I've read, no. The parasite does not infect inverts so I would think they would be safe.

Back
Top Bottom