Figure 8 Puffer Acting Strange

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bradado

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Ok, I got a figure 8 puffer last week and set up a brackish 10 gal tank for him. Hes been eating and active until recently, he has been sitting on the bottom moving occasionally, not eating, grey belly and his belly enlarged. I haven't seen him eat lately. Just to be safe I did a 25‰ water change in case it was due to water conditions, with no change in his behavior. He is the only fish besides a couple of snails. Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Whats your water parameter and salt level? Have you ever treated for internal parasites and do you see any white spots on his body?

Does the bump change position? If its stationary, then is the bump located at the bottom or side of his tummy?

10g not enough for your fish.

PH 8.0
Nitrates 0
Nitrites 0
Temp. 78
Salt added 2 tbs every gal of Instant Ocean.
Got some parasite meds...will update condition.

What does a refractometer say about your salt level?

Do you pre-mix your water before water changes?

it doesn't sound like your aquarium is cycled. if you only set up last week it can't be cycled. you should have some nitrates in a cycled tank and you have o. also you didn't say what your ammonia level is. i suspect that you have a rise in the ammonia level. you need a liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite and ph. most people use api liquid tests. if your ammonia is high you will have to do daily and sometimes twice a day water changes. also use seachem "prime " water conditioner as that will make the ammonia less toxic to your fish for at least 24 hours which will help with your water changes. i wouldn't use any meds until you find out what you're treating. if it's poor water conditions you shouldn't dose any meds you need to correct the water. adding meds will only make things more complicated. i believe at this point with the info you supplied, your fish is suffering from high ammonia levels and your tank isn't cycled.

Back
Top Bottom