Figure 8 Puffer Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
isiah1820 said:
Can they be kept. In fresh?

I wouldn't. They can be aggressive. Mollies can be kept with them. Bumblebee gobies too. Brackish isnt hard to keep.

Terrance said:
Not recommended. Their lives shorten by many years in freshwater.

Yea meant to say this but I went on to say fish that can live in brackish instead.

Are they too agressive for one 23in long dragon goby and 7 celebes rainbowfish in a 55 gal brackish tank?

hit or miss in that setup. how lucky do you feel?

Usually dont like to gamble when it comes to my giant baby... lol You'd think it wouldnt try messing with a 2ft long monster! My dragon is very territorial but not usually to fish, only to fish nets and gravel cleaners! ;)

I catch these things all the time in my cast net when im getting bait for a day at the beach. I really like the way they swim around checking everything out

Not a good combo. Treat the fiddler as a $2.99 snack for when the f8 figure out its food is a tank mate.

Not a good combo. Treat the fiddler as a $2.99 snack for when the f8 figure out its food is a tank mate.

Terrence you are 100% right with the snack part.

How have you been. Its been a few years since ive been here and I want to get back into the F8/brackish game again. Since the accident, (heat fried the tank) i havent owned any fish

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418007205.433278.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1418007185.530892.jpg
This is my f8 got it today and it eats out of my hand and is very friendly it greets me and begs me for food and attention like it wants me to trace my finger around the glass so it can chase it very great bond with only being in my house for a couple of hours and health and care tips would be nice first time with a f8

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

View attachment 257755View attachment 257754
very great bond with only being in my house for a couple of hours and health and care tips would be nice first time with a f8

F8s need to eat snails. Their teeth constantly grow and the need snails to wear them down. If they don't their teeth can grow enough to lock their mouth shut. If that happens the only way to save them is knock them out with some kind of medicine and manually cut their teeth. Pond snails and ramshorn snails are the best. I feed mine snails that are small enough to fit in their mouths so they can crush them. Do not feed him Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Their shell is too hard and can crack their teeth. I also feed my puffers blood worms and brine shrimp so that their bellies are just barely rounded.

15 gallon in minimum I would place them in. They need to have brackish water. If you don't know what that is, it is slightly salty water. You will use marine salt not aquarium salt. I keep my specific gravity around 1.003-1.005 SG. Specific gravity is measurement of salt in the water. You will need a refractor yet or a hydrometer to measure SG.

You will need a separate tank or container to keep/breed the snails because they do not tolerate salt.

I don't know if I am forgetting anything but if you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

F8s need to eat snails. Their teeth constantly grow and the need snails to wear them down. If they don't their teeth can grow enough to lock their mouth shut. If that happens the only way to save them is knock them out with some kind of medicine and manually cut their teeth. Pond snails and ramshorn snails are the best. I feed mine snails that are small enough to fit in their mouths so they can crush them. Do not feed him Malaysian Trumpet Snails. Their shell is too hard and can crack their teeth. I also feed my puffers blood worms and brine shrimp so that their bellies are just barely rounded.

15 gallon in minimum I would place them in. They need to have brackish water. If you don't know what that is, it is slightly salty water. You will use marine salt not aquarium salt. I keep my specific gravity around 1.003-1.005 SG. Specific gravity is measurement of salt in the water. You will need a refractor yet or a hydrometer to measure SG.

You will need a separate tank or container to keep/breed the snails because they do not tolerate salt.

I don't know if I am forgetting anything but if you have any questions let me know.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank u I feed him freeze dried krill is that good and also I have other fish that I don't think will tolerate any level of salinity what do I do ? I have it in a 20 gallon with 3 goldfish 2 dojo loaches, 1 clown loach,1 albino Cory catfish, 1 albino rainbow shark, 1 f8 puffer and a fish that I don't know it's name or originI would like finding help on info for that fish but can the fish I have handle salinity ?

Back
Top Bottom