Filstar Media Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

T Dawg

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

Does anyone have feedback on Filstar Super Activated Carbon Pouch or Filstar Bio-Chem Zorb Pouch?

My filters came with the carbon (I think) and suspect I put off changing it longer than I should. In the past 9 months the tests are fine and there is no tank odor so I have not worried too much.

I am thinking of moving to the zorb, and looking to see the recommended real word replacement from people using them.

Thanks

i dont use them. carbon you can just buy replacement carbon take the old stuff out and replace it on your own. saves a lot of money.

I use from bottom to top, the sponges supplied, Rena Starz, polyfil from Walmart (untreated) and finally the polishing pad
.Charles

I use from bottom to top, the sponges supplied, Rena Starz, polyfil from Walmart (untreated) and finally the polishing pad
.Charles
Other than your other posts I cannot find a reference to Rena starz. You also have mentioned a few times you occasionally use carbon, but I did not see which, why, or for how long.

Currently I have 2 20ppi rena foam, 2 30ppi rena foam, 1 tray of Eheim's coco balls, what I suspect was a rena carbon pouch, and a polishing pad that to date is gotten changes every few months when it looks ratty.

i dont use them. carbon you can just buy replacement carbon take the old stuff out and replace it on your own. saves a lot of money.
I understand this could be less costly, so I was looking to see the benefits and reviews of the rena items. Oddly I have not found much feedback on them. In general they make a few odd claims, like the nitra zorb pouches being refreshable, so I am curious to see what the real world thoughts are.

Other than your other posts I cannot find a reference to Rena starz. You also have mentioned a few times you occasionally use carbon, but I did not see which, why, or for how long.

Currently I have 2 20ppi rena foam, 2 30ppi rena foam, 1 tray of Eheim's coco balls, what I suspect was a rena carbon pouch, and a polishing pad that to date is gotten changes every few months when it looks ratty.

Sorry< I misspelled the stars:
http://www.rena.net/Products/Product.aspx?ProductID=484

Charles

I must have been asleep if I said I use carbon.
I NEVER use carbon.

Charles

Hi,

Does anyone have feedback on Filstar Super Activated Carbon Pouch or Filstar Bio-Chem Zorb Pouch?

My filters came with the carbon (I think) and suspect I put off changing it longer than I should. In the past 9 months the tests are fine and there is no tank odor so I have not worried too much.

I am thinking of moving to the zorb, and looking to see the recommended real word replacement from people using them.

Thanks

Actually I rely on biological filtration on my tanks. When you use carbon, it removes any fertilizers that have been dosed. I have never used carbon, I suppose if I wanted to remove some medicines without a water change, I could use carbon.
IMO, most folks that have planted tanks don’t use carbon at all. They rely on the plants themselves to balance out the Ammonia, Nitrates and NitritIte levels in the tank. I myself use a NiatrIte test kit daily to check the health of the water column. I fertilize daily and use pressurized CO2 with a pH controller.
When all is balanced, there is very little that carbon in a filter can help.

I do use Rena StarS as a biological media to cultivate beneficial bacteria. I have heard of many folks that use pot scrubbers, bio balls, etc. and have good luck with them.

I observe the fish and plants daily for signs of deficiency or stress. To me that is the best indicator of a healthy aquarium.

Good luck in the future,
Charles

Actually I rely on biological filtration on my tanks. When you use carbon, it removes any fertilizers that have been dosed. I have never used carbon, I suppose if I wanted to remove some medicines without a water change, I could use carbon.
IMO, most folks that have planted tanks don’t use carbon at all. They rely on the plants themselves to balance out the Ammonia, Nitrates and NitritIte levels in the tank. I myself use a NiatrIte test kit daily to check the health of the water column. I fertilize daily and use pressurized CO2 with a pH controller.
When all is balanced, there is very little that carbon in a filter can help.

I do use Rena StarS as a biological media to cultivate beneficial bacteria. I have heard of many folks that use pot scrubbers, bio balls, etc. and have good luck with them.

I observe the fish and plants daily for signs of deficiency or stress. To me that is the best indicator of a healthy aquarium.

Good luck in the future,
Charles
Without plants the weekly water change and occational canister maintanace had been keeping eveything happy, but I have seen levels nudging up faster between water changes now for the past month which lead me to suspect that carbon pack was doing something useful after all and is now saturated.

Before I just dumped in the genaric carbon I figured I would do a bit of digging. I'm still a few months away from braving live plants.

I understand this could be less costly, so I was looking to see the benefits and reviews of the rena items. Oddly I have not found much feedback on them. In general they make a few odd claims, like the nitra zorb pouches being refreshable, so I am curious to see what the real world thoughts are.
maybe rechargeable like purigen?

personally i just use sponges floss since i have planted tanks with my renas. if you have a larger bio load use some bio media. really thats all is needed if you have a established well maintained tank. all these other chemical filtration in my mind are good if you are over stocking or just not maintaining the tank.

Back
Top Bottom