Filter - fishless cycling question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

softmushroom

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm about to enter my 4th week of fishless cycling. I have not recieved any NitrIte yet. My ammonia level is about 4-5ppm using the api test kit. My ph is 7.4-7.6. My heater levels is about 85 degrees. I'm using an Aquaclear 50 hob.

My question is, I recently bought a hydrosponge 1 filter and I was wondering if I can leave that filter in my friends aquarium to collect the bacteria. Then after a few days, can I add that sponge filter to my tank to "jump start" this cycle?

Yes you could do that. But a few days wouldn't help that much. It would have to stay in his tank for at least a couple of weeks. But if you have a friend with a tank, why not ask him for either the rinsings from his next filter cleaning, or a small piece of used media from his filter. Either one can be placed into your filter and with any luck, you may have a complete cycle in just days.

Using mature media is the fastest way to cycle a new filter, and I do it all the time to start up new tanks.

Edit.. if he will give you the rinsings or squeezings from his filter, just pour them straight into yours. Yes, it looks gross and messy, but you won't believe how fast it works, and you'll be able to rinse out your own filter media to get rid of the bits of dirt soon enough.

Back
Top Bottom