Filter Floss Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uncgirl1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everybody,

I am adding filter floss to my filter and have never used it. Google says it's basically poly-fil that I can get from Walmart, craft stores, etc. Once I have it, do you just rinse it off and add it in the filter? I have Aquaclear filters. Is Purigen the same thing? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi everybody,

I am adding filter floss to my filter and have never used it. Google says it's basically poly-fil that I can get from Walmart, craft stores, etc. Once I have it, do you just rinse it off and add it in the filter? I have Aquaclear filters. Is Purigen the same thing? Thanks!

You can just pull a handfull off and cram it in the filter. I honestly don't even bother washing it. I bought an enormous bag of it from wal mart for about $8. It is sold as pillow stuffing.

Purigen:
14546-MLB193808001_1739-F.jpg

Filter floss:
41N-q7QuY4L._SY300_.jpg

You can just pull a handfull off and cram it in the filter. I honestly don't even bother washing it. I bought an enormous bag of it from wal mart for about $8. It is sold as pillow stuffing.

Purigen:
14546-MLB193808001_1739-F.jpg

Filter floss:
41N-q7QuY4L._SY300_.jpg

Thank you! I knew they were different. I was just wondering if they ultimately did the same thing. ? I got the Walmart kind and crammed it in there. So far, so good!

Thank you! I knew they were different. I was just wondering if they ultimately did the same thing. ? I got the Walmart kind and crammed it in there. So far, so good!

Has the dust cleared?

Has the dust cleared?

Yes, it has! I took the coral out and gave it a good rinsing (again) Friday night. Then let is sit in water with Prime for a bit. Added the filter floss yesterday and today it's looking so much better!

Yes, it has! I took the coral out and gave it a good rinsing (again) Friday night. Then let is sit in water with Prime for a bit. Added the filter floss yesterday and today it's looking so much better!

Excellent. Happy fish keeping from now on eh?

Excellent. Happy fish keeping from now on eh?

I hope so! I'm sure you'll know if something happens to derail me again. I thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby?? :)

I hope so! I'm sure you'll know if something happens to derail me again. I thought this was supposed to be a relaxing hobby?? :)

No, it's relaxing to those on the outside looking in. Addictive yes, relaxing no way lol

No, it's relaxing to those on the outside looking in. Addictive yes, relaxing no way lol

After you've exhausted yourself messing with the tank, sitting down with a glass of wine and staring at it is relaxing.

In my case the wine was necessary because I need a stepladder to keep messing with the tank and I won't get back on a ladder to do more if I've had a glass.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

In answer to the original question - is filter floss the same as purigen?
No it's not. Filter floss is an inert filter medium, it is simply a final polish to the water before returning to the tank. It does accumulate BB but most people replace it regularly and it does not form a large percentage of your total filter bacteria.
Purigen is a polymer that absorbs many impurities including dissolved tannins. It can be reactivated with bleach but I prefer to just replace it.
I use both floss and purigen because they serve separate functions. However, floss is dirt cheap and purigen is well expensive but it does a fine job.
Ps. If you reactivate purigen with bleach read, read and read again how to do it.

After you've exhausted yourself messing with the tank, sitting down with a glass of wine and staring at it is relaxing.

In my case the wine was necessary because I need a stepladder to keep messing with the tank and I won't get back on a ladder to do more if I've had a glass.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

Ha! Wine is always good :)

In answer to the original question - is filter floss the same as purigen?
No it's not. Filter floss is an inert filter medium, it is simply a final polish to the water before returning to the tank. It does accumulate BB but most people replace it regularly and it does not form a large percentage of your total filter bacteria.
Purigen is a polymer that absorbs many impurities including dissolved tannins. It can be reactivated with bleach but I prefer to just replace it.
I use both floss and purigen because they serve separate functions. However, floss is dirt cheap and purigen is well expensive but it does a fine job.
Ps. If you reactivate purigen with bleach read, read and read again how to do it.

Thank you! That makes sense and I appreciate the thorough explanation. I'm not using Purigen at the moment. I have it, but haven't used it. I think I'd be to afraid to recharge it. Bleach anywhere near my fish makes me want to break out in hives!

Hi uncgirl1.
I totally agree with the bleach/tank thing. I originally bought a purigen pouch for each filter. When it was exhausted (dark brown) I snipped off one end and refilled it with purigen from a container. Resealed the pouch with a food bag clippit, works a treat and is much cheaper than buying new bags of purigen. It's one of the must haves in my tank along with my UV filter.

I have been contemplating using poly-fil quilt batting in my aquaclear for some extra scrubbing As i already have a huge roll. The roll i have is soft n crafty brand. Also has poly-fil and Fairfield brand names on it. Anyone have experience using quilt batting? Or better yet this brand?

Back
Top Bottom