Filter for 75g?!? Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TankMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently purchased a 75g tank. I was considering the AquaClear 70 filter. My question is, should I get two of them? And what should I buy to create a small current throughout the tank? Like a power head? It's 4ft long. Thanks!!!!

Nah man just get an AC 110 IMO. Alot of people like to add canister filters to that, but not everyone.

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Nah man just get an AC 110 IMO. Alot of people like to add canister filters to that, but not everyone.

So only one AquaClear 110 would suffice?

Nu-Nu the eel said:
Hmm... Ya it should be enough, but i think i would do more to keep those trates down

So like an AC 110 and like a AC 20? Hahahahahaha. It will be planted FYI

jetajockey said:
The filter in and of itself isn't going to do anything about nitrates anyway. I agree though, go with the 110 better yet get a canister.

A canister is unfortunately out of the question. My step dad is a big tank guy and he has had bad experiences canisters, plus they are quite expensive and I only make $190 a week. :( lol. But would you say that just an AquaClear 110 would be enough for the tank? Sorry for beating a dead horse but I like to make sure ;) ha

... I'm 17. Lol that's why I only make that amount a week. Haha just want to get that cleared up 0.0

TankMan said:
I recently purchased a 75g tank. I was considering the AquaClear 70 filter. My question is, should I get two of them? And what should I buy to create a small current throughout the tank? Like a power head? It's 4ft long. Thanks!!!!

A canister filter would be best if you're going planted. It could also be easily setup to create your current without a powerhead if it's rated for enough flow. I'd look at a Rena XP4 or a sunsun (forget the new name the company uses). Both are great values and fine filters. The advantages of a canister is quiet operation, lots of room for polishing and bio media, you can easily add all kinds of stuff inline like heaters or co2 reactors, and you can reduce or increase the amount of surface agitation or the direction of the flow.

CorallineAlgae said:
A canister filter would be best if you're going planted. It could also be easily setup to create your current without a powerhead if it's rated for enough flow. I'd look at a Rena XP4 or a sunsun (forget the new name the company uses). Both are great values and fine filters. The advantages of a canister is quiet operation, lots of room for polishing and bio media, you can easily add all kinds of stuff inline stuff like heaters or co2 reactors, and you can reduce or increase the amount of surface agitation or the direction of the flow. .

Hmm. Which one would you recommend for my tank and situation? (exact model and #). Sorry to nag.

Is this a good one? And is it easy to use/ maintain?

Attachments

• image-1771541788.jpg
    image-1771541788.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 101
At this time you have some decisions to make, how "into" this planted tank thing are you going to be. Are you going to want pressurized Co2? What kind of fish are you looking to get? Do you have room under/to the side of the tank for a canister filter?

No CO2. Maybe a DIY in the future but who knows. And yes I have space in the stand below. And I plan on doing the usual dirted and covered with sand planted tank.

Cories with tiger barbs. A DG or two. Some guppies. Ya' know, nothing too special or out of the ordinary.

In that case I don't think you will go wrong with ether filter, although there are some advantages to a canister filter. If I were you I would get the 304 sunsun or aqua top or whatever it is being called now ;)

Back
Top Bottom