Filter for nano reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freybizzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm looking for a filter for a 5.5 gallon reef I'm setting up. Since liverock will handle most of the chemical and biological filtration, its main purpose will simply be to remove any waste from the water and to generate flow in the aquarium (I'd like to avoid crowding the tank with a power head if possible.) A huge requirement though is that it has to be decently quiet because it'll be in my bedroom (and I've had plenty of bad experiences trying to sleep with noisy filtration). Any suggestions? All input is greatly appreciated.

One of the larger ac filters should work(70 or 110). Your rocks don't give you chemical filtration, but you can run some like CPE or purigen in the ac. You may still need a ph if you have any dead spots, but those acs can really move the water, but take out the sponge and bio balls that come with

An ac filter was the kind I used to have for that tank and it was really loud, did I just get a damaged one or something?

What was the noise like mechanical or just the water falling? And did it come with the little balancer thing that goes on the bottom? Mine have always been pretty quite as far as hob filters go

What was the noise like mechanical or just the water falling? And did it come with the little balancer thing that goes on the bottom? Mine have always been pretty quite as far as hob filters go

I don't mind the water trickle at all, but yeah it was making mechanical noise as well. What balancer thing are you referring to?

There's like a little black thing that goes into a little hole in the bottom of the case and it balances the filter against the glass and eliminates the vibration noise

Aqueon quietflow series are very quiet, i have both a ac50 & aqueon. The big thing is what you are going to put in for filtration? Your live sand & rock will take care of your bio but at the beginning you will need some sort of floss, carbon, etc

I am using a AquaClear 50 on my nano and it is very quiet....all I hear is the water that is running in it.

Back
Top Bottom