Filter Help needed....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JoeA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I have a 55 gallon long fish tank which I would like to make into a saltwater tank. I have been doing research online and am still unsure of the proper filtration to use. I just started checking out sump filters but are they really the nuts?? I know that this hobby is going to be expensive, but I am very excited about trying to maintain a saltwater tank.

The sump setup seems to be very expensive, is there any other means of good filtration.

TIA
Joe

the sump filters that you purchase commercially are expensive. however, there are a couple alternatives... buy used (ebay or something) or DIY. there are a lot of articles on how to do this on this forum. search for posts by sumphead. i am planning on taking a used 15 or 20 gal tank and inserting a couple acrylic baffles in them to make my own wet/dry filter. the cost will be less than emperor 400 i was using in my FW setup. btw, i am also moving from FW to SW. i am currently trying to do all my research. i have a 75gal tank for my SW project.

Back
Top Bottom