Filter Media, Cycling, General Advice Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Satyricon553

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a 38 gallon tank a few weeks ago. One week ago, I bought 5 zebra danios and 2 spotted corys. I have been testing with strips (liquid test kit has been ordered, but not here yet). Ammonia got up to 4ppm a few days ago, dropped to 3 today so something was working. No nitrite readings, but nitrate has been at 20 (the same as tap water).

It was been dosed with Tetra Safe Start 4 days ago. That didn't really change anything. I wasn't too surprised by this.

I added 3 more spotted corys because I thought the bio load might not be enough for the tank. I was going to make them my first purchase after cycling, but I thought the 2 in the tank might want the company now. All fish are doing fine.

I bought an active filter from Angels Plus. Today I got a new AquaClear 70 filter. I used half the sponge from AP instead of the sponge that came with the filter. I put the original sponge and the unused half in the corner of the aquarium next to the filter intake.

The water looks pretty dirty right now, but I'm assuming that is the bacteria and water from the AP filter. See picture.

My questions are:

Is my filter setup appropriate?
Is it OK to just have those two sponges hanging out in the corner?
How long should I wait to put the original sponge in the filter?
When can I take out the AP sponges?
I shouldn't be worried about the dirty looking water right?
I'll continue to test water with strips and liquid when it arrives.
Do I need to do a water change once the water clears up a bit or should I just leave it alone until it is cycled?

Any other advice on something I'm missing? I'm new to this, but have been reading as much information as I can.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 91
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    252.1 KB · Views: 84
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 82
If the ammonia got up to 4 ppm that's a very dangerous level for fish. You'll have to do water changes in order for the fish to survive. The sponges in the corner are fine.

Satyricon553 said:
I bought a 38 gallon tank a few weeks ago. One week ago, I bought 5 zebra danios and 2 spotted corys. I have been testing with strips (liquid test kit has been ordered, but not here yet). Ammonia got up to 4ppm a few days ago, dropped to 3 today so something was working. No nitrite readings, but nitrate has been at 20 (the same as tap water).

It was been dosed with Tetra Safe Start 4 days ago. That didn't really change anything. I wasn't too surprised by this.

I added 3 more spotted corys because I thought the bio load might not be enough for the tank. I was going to make them my first purchase after cycling, but I thought the 2 in the tank might want the company now. All fish are doing fine.

I bought an active filter from Angels Plus. Today I got a new AquaClear 70 filter. I used half the sponge from AP instead of the sponge that came with the filter. I put the original sponge and the unused half in the corner of the aquarium next to the filter intake.

The water looks pretty dirty right now, but I'm assuming that is the bacteria and water from the AP filter. See picture.

My questions are:

Is my filter setup appropriate?
Is it OK to just have those two sponges hanging out in the corner?
How long should I wait to put the original sponge in the filter?
When can I take out the AP sponges?
I shouldn't be worried about the dirty looking water right?
I'll continue to test water with strips and liquid when it arrives.
Do I need to do a water change once the water clears up a bit or should I just leave it alone until it is cycled?

Any other advice on something I'm missing? I'm new to this, but have been reading as much information as I can.

And with ammonia up to 4 you really didn't need to add mote fish to get a good bio load, there was plenty.

It wasn't up to 4ppm until I added the extra fish. I'll change water tomorrow. Any answer on how long I need to keep the AP sponge in and if I made the right choice with my placements?

I'd keep it in for a while, a month at least. Your placements are fine. You definitely need to do a few back-to-back 50% water changes with dechlorinator to get those ammonia levels down; they are very dangerous for fish.

Anyone have some advice on where I might be in my cycle?

I did the suggested water changes on Saturday (2 50%). Fish were pretty happy the following day so I guess they were stressed from the ammonia.

I did a 25% change yesterday. Both days, I dechlorinated with Prime.

I fed normally this morning, but got the liquid test kit today so I tested my tap water and the aquarium water.

The attached picture is the test of the tank water. I'd read ammonia as .50-.75. Does that look right? The tap water has more ammonia. 0 Nitrite and close to 5 Nitrate.

Could that info mean I am cycled and the ammonia in the tank is from feeding this morning? Alternatively it looks a little like beginning a cycle, but since I have had fish in the tank for 2 weeks and have dosed it once with Tetra Safe Start and now have AP media in it, I don't think that's the case.

Any help on where I might be and how to proceed would be appreciated.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    202.6 KB · Views: 85
If your two weeks in your still in the beginning stages. If the nitrate is from your tap water you are not cycled. A cycled tank will have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite and rising nitrates.
As said above you need to test daily and if ammonia OR nitrIte is at .25ppm or more you need to do one (or more) large water changes to bring it down. Water changes will not hinder a cycle but will protect your fish.
You will see ammonia will keep rising then one day it will begin to fall. Then the nitrites will rise then fall. Then the ammonia and nitrite will read 0 and nitrates will continue to rise. Then you are cycled.
Ditch the safe start. It won't be doing anything.

How much ammonia does your tap water have? If it has more than the tank there's no use in doing a water change just to put ammonia back in, but if it's less than the tap you should do one. Add some extra Prime too. With the filter media you may skip nitrite all together but it's too early to tell yet.

How much ammonia does your tap water have? If it has more than the tank there's no use in doing a water change just to put ammonia back in, but if it's less than the tap you should do one. Add some extra Prime too. With the filter media you may skip nitrite all together but it's too early to tell yet.

The tap water has more ammonia than the tank water. I'll hold out until tomorrow and check the levels again.

One other item looking at your test results picture. Do a pH with the higher end pH test. It looks like you may be above the upper limit on the Low pH test.

One other item looking at your test results picture. Do a pH with the higher end pH test. It looks like you may be above the upper limit on the Low pH test.

I did the high end test and it's at the bottom of that scale. It's hovering between the top of the normal test and bottom of the high test.

I was out of town from Sunday until last night. I did a 25% water change before I left. When I got back last night and tested the water it looked like the attached picture. Looks like the ammonia dropped and the nitrate has been rising. That's good news right? Still no movement on Nitrite, but someone above mentioned that it might not spike. The fish are still very happy. I did a large water change(about 60%) and added a few new plants that I bought while out of town. I did a 25% water change this morning too.

I removed the AP sponge that was hanging out on the side of the tank. I replaced it with a new AP sponge that I'm using as a second filter. Therefore it got a lot of new bacteria introduced last night.

Anyone able to offer some advice on if I should do anything different or what I should expect in the next few days?

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 78
Looks good so far! Just continue to monitor your water daily to see how things are progressing & do water changes if needed. I know you mentioned theres ammonia in your tap so that may explain why you still have low readings of amm. How do the nitrate levels right now compare to your tap water?

Another update and a few more questions:

I added 5 neon tetras to the tank. I know it was probably too early. This morning I fed all the fish. I only counted 4 tetras. Eventually, I saw all 5 and they all ate something. An hour later, one tetra is dead among the plants. I tested the water and it ammonia looked the same or just a little bit more than the picture in my previous post, nitrate was around 10-15ppm.

My tap water has some nitrate in it, but I thought it would be best to do a water change since something died. I did another 60-70% water change. The existing danios and cores are happy as ever. The remaining 4 tetras aren't too active. They are separate from each other. Honestly they don't look that great, but I'm not sure if I'm reading into it more than I should. I'll keep a close eye on them, but I'm not sure what could be happening.

Any advice on the tetra dilemma? Could it have just been a batch of bad fish?

I have noticed a few really small snails on the tank. I don't know if they hitched a ride with the plants I bought or if they came with the AP filters. I don't really mind having them, but don't know if they would be bad for anything. Should I try and get rid of them or let them go. I have a few ghost shrimp in the tank too so that probably limits any treatment I could administer. Is there a fish I could get that would eat the snails and leave the shrimp alone?

All in all, it looks like I'm almost cycled right?

How do the nitrate levels right now compare to your tap water?

Right now the Nitrate levels are the same as the tap water, but I just did the really big change.

Generally, the tap water is at around 10ppm.

Looks good! Your new fish will increase the bioload so stay on top of your testing & water changes (if needed). The snails are nothing to worry about. I have a few ghost shrimp & I actually find them eating the baby snails! If they get annoying, just start removing them & disposing of them- no need to treat your tank! I am not sure what is going on with your tetras- i would just watch them closely for now. :)

Woke up this morning and couldn't find another tetra. Fed everyone as normal and hoped it would come out of hiding. It never did. I started moving around decorations and found it. Shrimp had eaten about 1/3 of it. The other 3 are looking a little better today though. I'm thinking I got a bad bunch.

Attached is a picture of my test results from today. The dead fish didn't really spike the ammonia too much. I think I'll hold off on a water change and do it tomorrow to see how my BB handle it. The nitrate looks darker in the pic than it does in reality. It's higher than my tap but not by enough that a partial water change is going to change much.

Since the nitrate level in my tap is so high, should I be adding something else to the water. I hate not being able to get it below 10ppm. Should I get 3 more tetras to round out the school again or should I hold off until my cycling stabilizes?

Forgot the pic. It's attached now.

Attachments

• image-888924447.jpg
    image-888924447.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 68
Back
Top Bottom