Filter Question for 60 Gallon Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yogi28

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok so I have been debating this for a while now and I wanted to get some input since I won't get the filter until Friday if I do decide to get it. My question is right now I have a 60 gallon aquarium with tropical fish and ADF's it's about 108% stocked according to Aqadvisor.com. Currently I have an Aquaclear 70 running on this tank but I was considering adding a second one, it's a tall tank not long. I know adding a second filter would be greatly beneficial to my fish but is another one NECESSARY?

I have two smaller filters in my closet in case the 70 goes out so having a backup filter is not the reason why I want to get the filter. I just want to make sure what I have is adequate enough for my tank or if adding the second filter is really NECESSARY? Thanks for any suggestions in advance guys.

No necessary really. Most do it because over filtering is just a added benefit and it will help your fish remain happy and healthy with cleaner water and it will also keep parameters in check. Since your tank is heavily stocked it won't hurt anything to add another filter. I run 2 aquaclear 110's on my 75g.

Is the tank dirty? Do you keep up with water changes? Are you able to keep your parameters in line?

More than likely i would start by just adding one of the small filters you already have and test water to keep an eye on things before you go buy a new filter.

Is the tank dirty? Do you keep up with water changes? Are you able to keep your parameters in line?

More than likely i would start by just adding one of the small filters you already have and test water to keep an eye on things before you go buy a new filter.

Just curious. Why would the OP need to keep testing water after adding a new filter with an already established filter running on the tank? I've done this more times then I can count. It's not going to hurt anything. The BB is alive and well in the old filter media. It's only going to "seed" the new filter with wonderful useful BB.

Just curious....

Thanks for the fast responses guys I posted this in another forum for 2 days and got one response this is the place I'm coming for advice from now on. The water stays pretty clean and I do 15-20% water changes every week I keep my aquarium very clean I'm prior military so I pay attention to the small details, drives my GF crazy lol.

Anyways I was thinking of adding another filter because well it would help keep the water cleaner and two its a long tank and I think the added filter will circulate the water better.

Thanks for the fast responses guys I posted this in another forum for 2 days and got one response this is the place I'm coming for advice from now on. The water stays pretty clean and I do 15-20% water changes every week I keep my aquarium very clean I'm prior military so I pay attention to the small details, drives my GF crazy lol.

Anyways I was thinking of adding another filter because well it would help keep the water cleaner and two its a long tank and I think the added filter will circulate the water better.

All the more reason for another filter. You and your fish will be happy plus you can add all different kinds of media, filter floss whatever since you'll have. 2 running.

All the more reason for another filter. You and your fish will be happy plus you can add all different kinds of media, filter floss whatever since you'll have. 2 running.

Then I am getting it I just got a big bonus at work and I got some extra cash so I wanted to add another one. Thanks for the help guys and for the reassurance. I think I will one run one sponge and two different kinds of bio media looks like I'll have to do some research on that next.

Then I am getting it I just got a big bonus at work and I got some extra cash so I wanted to add another one. Thanks for the help guys and for the reassurance. I think I will one run one sponge and two different kinds of bio media looks like I'll have to do some research on that next.

You can run one with the sponge and bio max and even poly fill. The other you can run purigen and the sponge and if ya want you can too that off with more bio rings. The possibilities are endless. I run chemi pure elite. Purigen, poly fill, sponge and bio max.

Just curious. Why would the OP need to keep testing water after adding a new filter with an already established filter running on the tank? I've done this more times then I can count. It's not going to hurt anything. The BB is alive and well in the old filter media. It's only going to "seed" the new filter with wonderful useful BB.

Just curious....

Not knowing water quality of his tank, did not know where they were. No adding an extra filter wont make things worse, but minimum weekly water testing is a good idea to stay on top of things in my book. Whenever i change anything i always increase water tests initially just to make sure nothing gts messed up.

Not knowing water quality of his tank, did not know where they were. No adding an extra filter wont make things worse, but minimum weekly water testing is a good idea to stay on top of things in my book. Whenever i change anything i always increase water tests initially just to make sure nothing gts messed up.

It's adding another filter testing the water makes no sense the tank is already established is what he was saying.

It's adding another filter testing the water makes no sense the tank is already established is what he was saying.

I guess i am extra cautious. I still check water quality weekly in an established tank. Makes me feel better i guess, or maybe just some extra "tank time" for me

I agree with regular testing. That testing kit isnt just for cycling and its always better to catch problems with water quality before it starts affecting your fish and youre scrambling to find out what has gone wrong and how to fix it.

All makes sense, you don't wanna know the last time I tested lol but it caught up with me when my local water dept did something and lowered my tap water pH to 6.0!! Needless to say my Africans didn't like it!! Almost lost my whole tank.

http://youtu.be/cAGb4Fr9K20

I got the filter today and I installed it. Here are some before and after pics. I put an Aquaclear 50 in my 20 gallon and the water is crystal clear. This is 45 minutes after I started the filter. I also moved the Gourami's to another tank.

ForumRunner_20130302_012606.jpg

ForumRunner_20130302_012621.jpg

Back
Top Bottom