Filter question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TexansFan

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, 1st post but been reading for a while now. I have a 37 gallon freshwater tank that has been running since April 25th. It has a topfin 40 filter. I know I'm cycling right now but I noticed tonight that there is water flowing back into the tank on the side where the pickup tube is. Is that normal? Here's a pic that may help explain it better. I've been having some ammonia, nitrite and nitrate issues but just thought it was part of the cycle. There's only 4 fish in there right now...2 opaline gourami, 1 tiger barb and a rainbow shark.

Anyway the real question was about the filter. Thanks for any input!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 54
The cartridge is clogged so the water is back flowing. Rinse it in a bucket of aquarium water as best as you can and stick it back in.

I have a topfin 75 on my 55, it has two chambers not one but it does not overflow around the intake(which is in the middle) my guess is it probably isnt supposed to since its really not being filtered on that side. If it was me I would exchange it.

Do not change it. The cartridge is where your bacteria are establishing themselves. If you throw it out you'll have to start the cycle all over again.

I actually just took my topfin back two days ago. (It just quit working)I threw the sponges and bags in the tank and just took back the rest of the filter. Got a brand new one put the old filter media in and ran it that way.

Do not change it. The cartridge is where your bacteria are establishing themselves. If you throw it out you'll have to start the cycle all over again.

So yes def keep your cartridge! The store might not appreciate a gross used filter in the box anyway

The cartridge is clogged so the water is back flowing. Rinse it in a bucket of aquarium water as best as you can and stick it back in.

Sorry! I didnt see this post...im sure youre right! I guess im a little TOO eager to try and help...

Thanks guys! Any recommendations on a good brand and size filter for a 37 gallon tank?

Do you want to stick with HOBs or are you willing to switch to a canister filter?
if you're sticking with HOBs you'll find out pretty quick that most of the users here run the aqua clear brand. If you want to switch to a can filter the two biggest names in the game are fluval and eheim.

Back
Top Bottom