filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyApril83

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey I just went to a local not big box store and the gentleman said my filter is a bad filter...its a brand new top fin 40 for my 37.gal tank. He said it is a good mechanical filter but bad on biological stuff. I am very overwhemed with it... he recomended adding a small filter that he does not sell..a marinelife for just biologics and it does not have to be big. I would have to cut the hood which would be ok cuz I could add it to the side of my tank. He said that the topfin filter could keep my tank cycling over and over. Every time I add fish....he also said to get all the fish at once because they will become territorial for the whole tank if not...goodness. I'm waiting at least another week. The good thing about his store is that he gets the fish direct from the farm around the corner...

Top fin website shows it as a filter good up to 40 gallons and claims it has mechanical , chemical and biological filtration. Depending on your stock it would be working at or near maximum. You could add a sponge filter to help with biological part of filtration. I was under the understanding it is best to add a few fish at a time and allow the cycle to catch up and stabalize before adding more fish, too many at once and you have the risk of spikes in your water parameters.
Not sure that all the answers you get from the big box stores are always correct. Certainly people here that could probably help you get it sorted out.

I think the current filter you have will be OK. Just cycle the tank well and it will not "cycle over and over whenever you add fish."

Also, if you do a fishless cycle, theoretically you could stock your tank at once - however you generally don't want to for the exact opposite reason the employee said. Fish need time to establish territory and dominance so putting them all in at once is a recipe for lots of fighting.

I think the current filter you have will be OK. Just cycle the tank well and it will not "cycle over and over whenever you add fish."

Also, if you do a fishless cycle, theoretically you could stock your tank at once - however you generally don't want to for the exact opposite reason the employee said. Fish need time to establish territory and dominance so putting them all in at once is a recipe for lots of fighting.

He said my tank seems cycled with the reading he got off of my water sample. So I am going to add fish next week. At earliest cuz I'm nervous.

A good thing is too that the farm right here uses the same water I do so the oh and trace elements will be the same and they won't be transported too far

I don't know if it is a Florida thing but all the local independent lfs that I've been to say to add all at once. That's 3 stores so far. Ill keep asking around

I don't know if it is a Florida thing but all the local independent lfs that I've been to say to add all at once. That's 3 stores so far. Ill keep asking around

I was always under the impression that it was best to add them a few at a time. Adding them slowly would prevent ammonia spikes from occuring from the quick change in the bio load if they were added all at once. Not sure if I was right or wrong now?:confused:

He said my tank seems cycled with the reading he got off of my water sample. So I am going to add fish next week. At earliest cuz I'm nervous.

You should consider getting getting a liquid (not test strips) test kit such as the API Freshwater Master. That way you can monitor your parameters and determine the status of your tank, cycle wise. It would be nice if you could buy direct from the farm.

You should consider getting getting a liquid (not test strips) test kit such as the API Freshwater Master. That way you can monitor your parameters and determine the status of your tank, cycle wise. It would be nice if you could buy direct from the farm.

I'm ordering it tonight off amazon :)

What fish are you planning on putting in this tank? The only fish you really need to stock like this are cichlids.

Otherwise stocking a few fish at a time is the best plan.

Back
Top Bottom