Filter Size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timn99

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1st post here.

I have a 25 gallon freshwater aquarium and will be replacing my old bio-wheel which has stopped rotating. Have heard good things about the AquaClear HOB filters. Which size would you recommend for my tank size? I have mainly community fish.

Is the AquaClear 70 overkill, or would the AquaClear 50 be more appropriate?

I think the AC 50 would do just fine. ACs are great. They will run forever and are very easy to maintain.

Welcome to AA!!

I'm so indecisive. :x

I originally has the AC50, but it seem so small compared to my previous TopFin 30. So I decided to take it back to Petsmart and get the AC70. When I installed the AC70, it was much larger dimensionally and had a bigger intake, making it seem almost excessive for my tank. Plus the maximum flow was pretty strong currents, so I scaled it back to minimum flowrate.

Looking like another trip back to the store for the AC50 :oops: :roll:

The AC50 will definitely do the job. I had an AC20 for my 10 gal tank, and it worked very well up until it died on me (either too many power surges or overheating cause of very low water).

I use the AC 30 on my 29G tank with no issues. I am personally looking to upgrade either to a bigger HOB filter, or a canister filter...not sure which yet...may just go double on the HOB's...

If you are inclined, you can put the impellor from an AC 50, into the motor of the AC70 (they use the same motor), which will lower the flow rate, but you will still have the biomedia of the bigger filter.

Exchanged the AC70 back again to the AC50. Flowrate is much better set on high. Based on the 200 gph of the AC50, I think it should be OK at 8x aquarium size.

I just went ahead and put in the spong, AC, and bio-max layers. Why is it widely suggested that the AC is not needed? If so, then I can just substitute with another layer of sponge or bio-max?

Carbon will polish the water and get rid of the stagnant water smell, but it has to be replaced every so often. It's not necessary in most tanks as most people don't have water smelling too bad. If it's already in the filter, there is no need to replace it. Just leave it in as it is a good surface area for bacteria anyway. There's no need to exchange it for anything that will do the exact same thing.

Carbon also has a very limited lifespan. It's not a long term filter by itself (but it becomes a decent home for bacteria). If you're counting on carbon for true filtration you have to replace it quite often, which is a pain...most people prefer to use almost pure mechanical and bacterial filtration, rather than chemical.

I hang on to the carbon units for aquaclears and keep running them, but only for bacterial filtration...and they would be the first thing I would drop if I needed room for filter floss (never had a reason to remove the carbon for filter floss so far though).

Back
Top Bottom