Filter sock or no filter sock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jereli

Aquarium Advice Freak
just out of curiosity how many if you are running reefs without a filter sock? I have read many posts where many people dislike them.

For those who dont use them how do you keep your sumps clean from any debri sitting in your sumps or from any debri enterimg the pumps, skimmer, etc...

originally I did not have one in my sump and i started having some build up on the botton of my skimmer chamber.

filter socks tend to get pluged up easily and you should keep a few sets so you can wash them with bleach and what not. they need to be cleaned week rinsed off weekly or else they become a nitrate factory, which is why most don't use them

I have very fine "dust" in the bottom of my sump from debris that gets through the filter pad. When I start to modify my wet/dry filter, I'm going to use a filtersock so I can make room for my protein skimmer and refugium. I'll use the sock to save room.

Like Gti stated, I've heard they become nitrate factories, but I bet if you keep up with your weekly water changes and switch socks each time, you should be good to go.

Yea.. Ok i think its better for me to just keep the sock in there..i don't get any readings for nitrate yet and i been using the socks for quite some time now.

Back
Top Bottom