Filter suggestions for a new 55 setup; cannisters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Proteus55

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I realize there are a million possible answers to this age-old question and that the subject of filters is very subjective. However, I have been diligent in my research and have basically come around to several possibilities: Eheim 2215, Eheim 2217, Ecco 2236 or--against my better instincts--an Aqua-Clear 500. My tank is a 55, will contain no real plants, will be a community tank (barbs, tetra, etc.) and will be in a living room. Currently, I have an old 20 year old Penguin 330 biowheel on a 37 which is great but noisy (rattling impeller. I really would want the Ecco 22366 for the ease of operation and maintenance, but some have said it is rated too low at 80 gallon and 164 gph flow; also, I have heard horror stories about the handle breaking and flow rate gradually diminishing over time. Everyone seems to love the Eheim 2217, but it looks like overkill at a rated size for up to 165. The 2215 looks right, but some have said "you need to go way above the tank ratings." Also, I have never had a canister before (though I date back to the 60s and slate-bottomed tanks, metal frames, and Dyna-flow filters). Plus, this will be on a carpeted floor, and I don't know if I want to risk leaks. Now, the Aqua-clear 500--rated for up to 110 gallons and 500 gph looks great on paper, but I have heard it is a little noisy, backs up, won't restart after a power failure, could back up and spill water, and my wife wants quiet. Anyway, any suggestions based on experience would be helpful. I am new to this forum but have a lifetime of interest.

I just got a sunsun HW 304-b and it's running very quietly. It's not the highest quality but the price is right, it has an obscene amount of space in the canister, and has quite a bit of flow.

Back
Top Bottom