Filter venturi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henry1245

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi,

I have a fluval U2 filter and I has a Venturi which pumps bubbles into the water.

I read online that the water surface needs to be broken for oxygen to get into the water and fish to breathe.

The problem is the Venturi pumps our a lot of bubbles.

It has 2 other options, one where the water is pumped in a line down the middle of the filter and another where it is pumped at the bottom. Neither of these two options produce bubbles - if I use these options my fish are happier but will this cause them to die from lack of oxygen?

Thanks
Henry

The surface does not need to be broken, just a nice little ripple across the surface is fine. This is a thing that used to worry me when I first got into tropical fish. You will notice if your fish are not getting enough oxygen as they tend to be slow, hanging out around the surface or at your outflow. Venturi are not required, neither is bubbles - mainly down to personal preference.

Last edited:
Great, thanks!

It was making loads of little bubbles in the water which made it look like there was stuff in the water...

Gentle ripple it is from now, cheers!

Back
Top Bottom