Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pleechford

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a internal tetra whisper filter inside my 10 gallon that came with the tank. I has been experiencing a lot of cloudy water lately and I feel that it might be caused by inadequate filtration. Should I invest in an external filtration system. If so what kind?

How long has the tank been set up? Inadequate filtration met not be the cause of cloudy water.

I haven't added any for about 3 weeks now. When the light is on it has a white haze and when the light is off the water is brown. I went to a local aquarium shop and they said it was a brown algae bloom and to add some seachem clarity and that would help but it seemed to make things worse. Although the filter media had alot of brown muck on it a few hours after I added the clarity. So I assume it helped a little but not the results I am looking for.

+1 to AquaClear filters. Just bought one myself.
Cloudy water may be a bacterial bloom/mini cycle.

How often are you doing water changes? You could also swish your filter media in old tank water during a water change to remove some of the excess gunk that's built up. Chemicals aren't really needed IMO. I also agree you could add an AquaClear. Just don't remove the filter you have now as it contains a lot of beneficial bacteria. Either run the two filters together (old and new) or move all of the media from your current filter into the new one. Also I'd try a couple of water changes.

I do water changes about twice a week for the moment to try to clear this up. Okay I will definitely look into an aquaclear. I heard you have to make your own filter media with that though, is that true?

You don't make your own. There are inserts made, you just choose which ones to put in your filter.

Okay sweet. Yeah that sounded a little strange to me. Thank you guys for the help!

Back
Top Bottom