Filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zhuber

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have two 110 aquaclears in my 55 gallon tank one isnt working now since yesterday how long can i manage with just one? and what if i buy a aquaclear 70 instead of a 110. How long do i have to make that purchase. I have 2 angels 2 clown loaches 3 blue rams 1 gourami 3 tetras 3 plecos.

... Wouldn't you be ok with just one 110?

I have a 50 on my 37 and I've never had a problem. Aquaclear is the best filter I've ever had!

Do you know why it stopped working?
Have you tried taking it apart where the motor is and cleaning all the gunk out with a q-tip?

I would always run two AC110's on my old 55 as well. Extra filtration is always good. An AC70 would be ok but I would look into why the 110 died. Clean the propeller really well, sometimes they get gunk built up on the shaft. Worst case you might have to be a new motor, but it should still be cheaper than a new AC70.

Where would I get a new motor? The motor won't even turn on when I plug it In

To me cheap is $30 for a motor but if you prefer a new filter then go for it.

I'd be lost on how to put it in

It literally takes 5 seconds. The motor spins and unlocks from the filters housing. You twist it off. It's a good idea to take the motor off to clean it out every few months anyway.

Play around with your filter and you should be able to see what I mean. If you can't figure it out shoot me a PM and I'll take a video to show you how it's done.

Filter Problem

I have two 110 aquaclears in my 55 gallon tank one isnt working now since yesterday how long can i manage with just one? and what if i buy a aquaclear 70 instead of a 110. How long do i have to make that purchase. I have 2 angels 2 clown loaches 3 blue rams 1 gourami 3 tetras 3 plecos.

Hello z...

That's a lot of filtration. A Hagen 110 turns more than 400 gallons of tank water per hour. Your 55 G only requires about 330 gallons. So, a single, 110 AC filter is sufficient for the tank. You don't need another filter. Just do your weekly, large water changes and your tank water will be fine.

B

I've attached a picture of the aqua clear HOB filter.
On the bottom left is the motor- it comes off and inside is the propeller. Take a q-tip and clean all the gunk out. It should be taken off and cleaned every few months bc all that gunk causes the motor to fail.
I clean mine once every 6 weeks during a WC just to be sure and you'll be amazed at how much gunk accumulates.

Hope that helps you :)

Attachments

• image-3281324896.jpg
    image-3281324896.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 30
Thanks for your help one question what if the problem is the cord ?

If you let the impeller get too dirty sometimes they lock up. I had mine do it the other day. Give the impeller and housing a good cleaning and it might do the trick.

Good news it's fixed I brought it to the lfs they took it apart they said they've dealt with this brand and it was the little spinner thing.

Good news it's fixed I brought it to the lfs they took it apart they said they've dealt with this brand and it was the little spinner thing.

That would be the impeller ... typical part that needs replacing on most filters.

Guy at the store says sometimes you just gotta tap it with a pen if it does that

Back
Top Bottom