Filters, heaters, stocking, and lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishperson

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hi everybody, I plan on putting fish in my 20 gallon tank shortly after christmas. I plan on having:
7 orange von rio flame tetras
7 glowlight tetras
5 pygmy cory catfish
1 dwarf or honey dwarf gourami

This seems like too much for me, but according to a website called AqAdvice.com, this is only 80% of my tank capacity. This doesn't make any sense to me, so I was wondering if that would work?

Also, do I need a lid on a fish tank? (I don't think any of my fish jump out, like hatchetfish do!)

Would a Cascade power filter 150 be good enough for my tank?

And what kind of heater should I have? (I have a heater from my old 10 gallon set, but I doubt that will be sufficient.

Just for the record, I could have sworn I already posted this (maybe under a different thread) so if I posted this twice, I am not crazy, just kinda stupid sometimes! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, I don't know where the heater is at the moment :), I will find it soon and tell you when I do. When you say "Aquarium advisor", do you mean this site or the site where you put in your filter, tank and fish, and it tells you what is good and bad about your arrangement?
Thanks!

I'd say that stock sounds OK for a 20 gal. The filter is probably sufficient, I dont' know much about Cascade filters. The 150 says it's rated for a 40 gal with 200 gph, you should be ok.

A heater for a 10 gal probably isn't enough for the 20; do you know the wattage? A good heater would be something you can adjust, not the ones that come pre-set at a certain temperature. Top FIn, Aqueon and Fluval make adjustable heaters. Just make sure you get one that's for a 20 gal tank.

Is this your first tank? Do you know about cycling (It involves more than letting the tank run). Here's a guide for you: Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium - Aquarium Advice

Yes, I know about cycling, but not about fishless cycles or enough to comfortably start a tank at the moment without further research. I cannot find the filter right now, so I will update when I do find it. The cascade filters seem to work well, but I have never used them (just read reviews). They are very confusing because they are numbered 80, 100, 150, etc., but that is not the gph, or the recommended tank size either.

AHA!
I found the heater!
It says 100W, 150V, ~60Hz. I don't know what that means for my tank though.

100w should be sufficient for a 20 gal. The best thing to do is buy a cheap in-tank thermometer (the mercury ones that stick to the inside of the glass; don't get the strip that goes on the outside as they are hard to read and not very reliable) and place it on one of the opposite corners of the heater to double-check the temp.

Thanks you so much!
I have a strip one that sticks to the tank, but I will by the one of the ones that you mentioned. Is there anything else I should know about lids for the tank or any thermometers you might recommend?

the temperature that is in the room (or even, the corner of the room the aquarium is in) affects the temperature of the aquarium.

the temperature in an aquarium (if heated) will always be warmer than the surrounding room, and as of such, the warmth within the aquarium leaks out to the surrounding room. the colder the room is, the more warmth leaks out and the more electricity the heater will spend.

Where about do you live. In canada it gets pretty hot here and we have had tanks that are normally at 80f raise up to 84f... Then in the winter time if a tank is to close to a furnace vent it can raise pretty fast. Another thing to look out for is windows. The sunlight can create diatoms in the water and produce algae. Also i dont see why the sunlight couldnt warm the tank up if it close enough to the window either.

Ok, thanks. So that means that the heater will heat the tank up to where it needs to be, even in varying temperatures?
I never knew that!

It all depends on the difference between the room temp and the desired temp you want. But a 100w should be fine for your tank

And evaporation also make the temperature change. And yes many fish jump when ready to breed as they are all excited and what not and normally any torpedo shaped fish could jump! Hatchet fish just eat of larvae in the wild so they are use to it. I would say get a lid. That way your tank will have some insulation once a layer of water evaporates.

Back
Top Bottom