Filtration choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which choice for filtration in a SW tank.

• filter alone

Votes: 3 13.0%
  • Skimmer alone

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Filter and skimmer

Votes: 15 65.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

melosu58

SW REEF 20+ YEARS
One of our SW members wants to know which one of the three choices would you use for your tank? Sorry freshies this is a SW question. If you have any info that might help then by all means post. I know alot of use use LR, refuges and sumps but other than those what would you use. This is the thread that inspired this poll

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f14/fresh-water-saltwater-104960.html

Last edited:
I`ll start it off with skimmer alone. I dont use a filter in my reef tank. Just LR and a skimmer and also a 40 gallon refugium.

Has this post been merged? If not it'd probably help to show what the original poster was contemplating...If it is the OP I remember, for that person's setup I vote filter as well.

I could not merge since this one is in the poll site forum but I posted a link to the thread on my original post on this poll.

I think the "obvious" choice is use both combined, as it will give you much better filteration than just using one, or the other.

Good skimmer is the best piece of equipment you can have besides lighting! You will have no need for any additional filtration with a good skimmer.

Skimmer only here.

I guess I'll buy a skimmer and filter, any suggestions on filters and skimmers? I am getting a 30 gallon tank.

AquaClear 110 for filter (turn into refugium). Can also house two 50w heaters upright. I'm sure others can chime in on skimmers :)

that was my problem, was I wasn't sure which i should go with for a 30 gallon tank. a skimmer or a filter. If I am just starting out, should I might just start out with a filter?

IMHO it is unnecessary to buy a filter along with a skimmer. Use the money and buy the best skimmer you can. ;)

At the moment...just a filter with the live rock. Eventually, I will get a skimmer but right now i'm doing just fine without as long as I keep up with the water changes.

Back
Top Bottom