fin rot question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bytal

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm still new to fishkeeping and I'm not sure if my fish have fin rot or if they've just been nipping at each other. I've read that fit rot usually has a black outline around it but the fish in question are black phantom tetra which makes thr black outline criteria kind of useless. The only discoloration in the areas is a white kind of clear color. When fins grow back do they grow back clear before the coloration becomes in? Most of the missing tissue on the fish are on the lower tip of the tail and at the bottom of the umm big bottom fin. Sorry I don't know fish anatomy. Is this a common nipping area?

If it looks like it was kind of cut with scissors, it is probably nipping. If it is jagged I would say it's fin rot. The clear, as you know, is the new growing back. If you notice the clear one day, and the next day you don't see it, I would say it's nipping.
Do those tetras have flowing fins? My betta, (as some bettas do), thinks his tail fin is too beautiful and heavy, so he bites it off at least once every 2 weeks....Bad fish!

Well I'm going to the LFS today to pick up a small tank to use as a quarantine tank. I will put the sick ones in there and monitor them for a few days before I start medicating them. And yes, they are very flowing fins as far as tetras go.

From what you describe, it sounds as though you have nipping in your tank. What fish do you have in it?

I have 9 black phantom tetras a pearl gourami and a pair of killifish (Fundulopanchax scheeli scheeli) The male killifish used to be extremely territorial and killed 2 other killis that I had within a week and chased everyone else around the tank.After that I gave him a timeout for a couple days and introduced some amano shrimp to the tank. When I put him back in the tank and he discovered his favorite piece of driftwood had been overrun with shrimp he mellowed out and is more of less friendly now. I know the black phantoms do occasionally fight and its just the males that seem to be torn up so it may just be the phantoms going after each other.

Back
Top Bottom