Fin rot :-\

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foxyhasswag

Aquarium Advice Freak
Today my fish has got fin rot after being attacked by my gourami (which has now been moved) how is it best to treat fish I will be going back to my local store to get some anti fungus and fin rot treatment on Monday it says on the bottle that there's no point in putting it in if you have carbon in your filter my filter is a interpret pf2 filter if I remove the carbon will it still work properly as long as I'm treating her
Question 2 what else can u do to help control the fin rot apart from daily water changes only just got her today don't want her to have a miserable short life help would be much appreciated

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm a little confused ... If the fin damage is from another fish the good news is you don't have fin rot.

There are lots of different approaches to treating fin rot, most important in my limited experience is really really really good water quality to begin with. But fin rot sets in over a period of time, and you say you got the fish today.

The fins should heal up if your water quality is good. I'm sure the more experienced people will come chime in there.

He's got fin rot in the anal fin and front swimming fin as I sore in the fish shop 2 weeks ago as its all ragged around the edge and has a milky white look to it but he bit him yesterday so want to treat his already damaged fins and his new open wounds

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I would stay away from medications in the tank and just do lots of water changes, keep the temp around 78 and a good diet, don't over feed and your fish will heal.
Good luck!

I've fought fin rot a lot and like Pp said, water quality is key. The first time I tried medication after medication and I'm pretty sure that's what killed the fish (just too much in the water, creating another kind of stress).

I'd get a test kit, so you can monitor daily for awhile. Do water changes (with something that helps slime coat) anytime ammonia or nitrates or nitrites come up, keep pH stable. Don't add a ton of stuff to make pH perfect; if it's super far outside healthy ranges then do a series of small changes to adjust it slowly. You'll learn what pH your tank likes to be at (mine is about 6 for instance). It's extremely unusual to need a product to stabilize pH.

I think API and some others use aloe for slime coat; aloe naturally has salicylate which is like aspirin. Probably not much once processed but still better than artificial stuff in my experience.

The hard part for me was getting so many different opinions, the first time I tried to treat fin rot I think it just stressed the fish.

The second time I stabilized pH, added salt per the directions on the carton and bettafix (a tea tree oil treatment), changed the water a lot, and used stress coat. He's now a super happy betta. Salt in freshwater is a little controversial and bettafix/melafix is too so wait till you getore opinions and then decide on one single course of treatment.

Back
Top Bottom