Fin rotting on Discuss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
1 tbsp of salt per 5 gallons
How much salt needs to be replaced with each (40%) 20 Gal water change?
You need to add 4 TBSP at each 20 gal PWC. Mix the salt into the water in a separate bucket and then add to the tank.
What about pH for the new water?
Are you currently using a product to alter the pH of the tank water?

I got the Python on Saturday. I changed the water Saturday and Sunday 50%. I added PRIME and salt to the aquarium with each change. I Also changed the water on Wed, Thu, Fri last week. So far the blue discuss which got the infection first does not have the spots, however, some other one still have the spots and I think there are new spots.

I don't use any products to alter pH.
(y)
Is the fin rotting continueing, or is it holding steady/getting better?
So far the blue discuss which got the infection first does not have the spots, however, some other one still have the spots and I think there are new spots.
What do the spots look like?

The spots are not ich if that is what you are asking. THey are white cloudy type. They are not getting any better. Some fish still have them in the old places and I noticed one have the new big one on the right fin. Only the blue discuss got better.

Also there is a matter of the one below.
I noticed that this specific one is breathing much faster than the other ones. Also all 6 discusses were introduced to the tank at one time. However, this specific one is being picked on by the other discusses. So now most of the time he is hiding. So far he is eating, but I am afraid that can stop at any moment.

Click hew to see the picture http://www.v-t-d.com/IMG_0606.jpg

As I suspected he stopped eating on saturday. It looks like he sees the food, tries to eat it, but to lazy to actually eat it.

Stress from being picked on is hard to combat without moving the fish to a QT tank. Can this fish be moved? Since BrianNY is away, I will PM someone else to weigh in on the discuss' problems.

Then the picked on discuss will be safe from the other fish, but since it will still see the other fish, he may still be stressed.

The breeder is

H5.25" x L6.5" x W5"

The discuss is about 2" from top to botton.

Well it looks like the epidemic has past. Honestly I was a little reluctant to change water everyday or add water conditioner directly to the tank thinking it might stress the fish, but surprisingly, gradually it got better and better. The spots are 98% gone and all discuses are eating normal. I purchased python and right now my water change takes only 30 min. The only complain about python I have that its wastes water during the vacuum time.

Thanks for all your help.

P.S. I will make some pictures and uploaded them to the gallery this weekend. :)

Well it looks like the epidemic has past.
[center:18a632078f]:multi: Thank goodness!!! :multi:[/center:18a632078f]
Clean water really does help (y)
The only complain about python I have that its wastes water during the vacuum time.
Yeah, that's the reason I don't own one. I fill up a rubbermaid tub and haul it outside to dump. One all the tanks have water out, we go around with a food-grade garden hose that we only use for the fish. It's a lot of work :roll:

Well

I will vacuum into the bucket the old fashion way, I like the suction better anyway, and use the python to fill the tank.

:D So glad your discus are better. A tip about using the python. You can avoid alot of the splashing by simply placing a dish towel over the faucet. :wink:

I picked up 25 feet of clear 1/2" vinyl tubing from HomeDepot for 8$, a connector for the faucet and an o Clamp, I can syphon directly to the drain, and attach it to the faucet to fill back up, the 1/2" hose connects to my gravelvac.

Well finally got the time to post the pictures. They are waiting to be approved and should be visible soon. Just click on View My Gallery under my user name.

Back
Top Bottom