Fin Troubled Venustus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NeverEnoughWater

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
As we were cleaning the tank today, we noticed that the dorsal fin had what looked like a hole in it, right next to the body, its red around it also. We've never seen anything like it before. Pictures will come soon. Please help though.

Hard to say without the pics. You best best though no matter what it is, is to do lots of water changes. Whether it is an injury, fin rot, or septicimia is hard to tell with limited info but in all cases water changes can help.

Do you have any other fish in with it?
What are your parameters? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, temp)
How long has the tank been set up?
When was the last water change?
When was the last time you added fish to the tank?

I have a young Yellow Lab with basically the same issue. She has a split in her dorsal all the way to her body and the skin in her body at the end is red. I am thinking she cut herself on a rock maybe. I am not too worried tho, because I know that as long as the water is clean she will heal. When I first got my male Acei he somehow hurt a side fin. The "underarm" part in the body got very red. I just watched him close, kept the water clean and within a week he healed right up nice.

I think as long as there is no signs of infection or fungus it should heal up just fin. These remind me of cuts we get, our skin gets red too. Make sure to check him everyday to make sure it is not getting worse. My little Lab is healing on her own. It was bright red yesterday but today its more a pink color.

Happy is right, the best medicine for a cut fin is clean water. If the water is bad, they wont heal as well. Just like us. If we are in a bad hygiene situation, it will cause infection.

Here are some pics.. crappy, but there pictures.

img_995808_0_ba3b8180019df78d518911b53074fd69.jpg

img_995808_1_e26a8b02e1405d4b70d23de0855cdc43.jpg

img_995808_2_79179e427123de0dc3872598ab1c14d1.jpg

In the last 2 days it has gotten worst.

Can you quarantine the fish? If so,then do daily water changes and perhaps try Maracyn and Maracyn two together. I had a discus with a terrible case of fin rot when I received it from a shipper and I was able to bring it back completely with a 10 day course of those medicines. I highly suggest a QT tank or container as the meds can get expensive with a larger tank.

I am not certain your fish has fin rot but to answer your question, fin rot is a bacterial infection that most commonly ocurs in weakened fish that are living in poor tank conditions. Fish can be weakened from stress such as moving to a new aquarium, or injury/attack from another fish.

Here is a good article to read about it Fin rot: Symptoms and treatment

Back
Top Bottom