Finally figured out what to do with my 15 gallon column!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KevinM

Aquarium Advice Activist
Yup, I bought this tank for my little female betta Rayne, but It was MUCH bigger than I thought it would be, I guess cause its a column.

But I figured out what Im going to make it! a Puffette tank! hehe I found Dwarf Puffers this weekend and thought they would be just different enough to go a species tank, which I never really cared for seems like a waste of space so this will be a 1st hehe

Heres a pic of it. I used a 15lb bag of Eco Complete since Im going to go heavy planted, Biotope plants are ordered and should be here soon. The rocks are just a bunch of Slate I have from my 75 gallon build(10 bucks for a 35lb bax on ebay) I might change it up a bit and add some DW, I have some in the mail for the bigger tank, might steal some.

Im going to pic this build and keep it updated on here

Now to figure out what Im going to do with my 75 gallon once I get it cleaned up hehe

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    189.6 KB · Views: 442
here is the puffer tank now planted =D. I have a few lily bulbs on the bottom just soaking. I thought 50 was going to be too much but I think its just about right for a biotope hehe.

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 243
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    254.8 KB · Views: 304
thank you for putting this up, I have had the same tank sitting for months and was thinking of doing the same thing but just wasn't sure( and am still not sure if I have the time to start a fifth tank but you're nudging me a bit closer. I also not sure if mine would support plants as the stock light is an 8 watt bulb, although I was thinking of taking out the gut on the light and replacing it with one of the 12" led fixtures they have on sale at petco for @ $36 but that's more than I paid for the whole set up from craig's list, I hate when I get indecisive

using the Tetra Whisper POwer 30. its rated from 10-30 gallons. I had read that the filter that came with the tank was kinda under powered. This one is doing well, its moving the plants even at the bottom of the tank and has a changable flow rate so if its too strong for the puffers I can back it down.

As far at the light that came with the hood. The plants are already taking off, some of the bulbs I put in there already have about 1 inch of growth out of them. the others are Showing signs already too, and its been only days. I think its more than enough for med light plants..here is what I have in the tank, all Biotope plants from SE Asia/India area.

ponogeton Undulatus Aquarium Plant-Aponogeton Undulatus bulb

Aponogeton Ulvaceus Aquarium Plants-Aponogeton Ulvaceus Bulb

Aponogeton Crispus Aquarium Plant-Aponogeton Crispus plant

Cryptocoryne Becketii Aquarium Plant-Cryptocoryne Becketii

Cryptocoryne Wendtii Brown Aquarium Plant-Crypt Wendtii Brown

Vallisneria Italian Aquarium Plants-Val

Pink Hippo Grass Bunched Aquarium Plant-Bunched - Pink Hippo Grass Limnophilia hippuroides

Barclaya Asian Red Aquarium Plant-Asian Red Barclaya Bulbs (Barclaya Longifolia)

Dwarf Lily Bulb Aquarium Plant Bulb-Misc - Dwarf Lily Bulb

Rotala Wallichii Bunched Aquarium Plant-Bunched - Rotala, Wallichii

Dragonfire Foxtail Bunched Aquarium Plant-Bunched- Myriophyllum tuberculatum - Dragonfire Foxtail

50 plants ran my 68 bucks from AZgardens. Even got 1 snail( I was kinda hoping for more to get a nice bunch growing as food)

might be able to make it fit with a good bit of trimming

Attachments

• image-1281776706.jpg
    image-1281776706.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 221
Update for the tank.

After some of the plants started turning yellow and melting away(I think it was lack of a c02 system) My c02 finally came in the mail.

I had out 3 otos in the tank but for some reason I lost 2 of them =( and moved the 3rd little guy to my 29g thats fully cycled and it still died about 4 days later =(

But heres the tank now after the plants where pruned(dead ;leaves) and I added a crap load of Ramshorn snails(puffer food! hehe) and they have cleaned up a lot of the leaves that melted away.

Ill post another pic in a day or 2 after the c02 has a chance to take effect, I also put some Root tabs into the Eco Complete just to help them out.

all and all Im happy with the way it turned out, other than loosing my poor little ots. Its still cycling and nirates are sky high, just like they did on my 29 gallon. So its coming along. Im adding prime everyday and doing a pwc

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    251.5 KB · Views: 241
I think its gone beyond "good" lol

So heres a update on the tank.

Its fully cycled now, and the snails have taken over the tank lol really the sides look like snow fall from all the baby snails. Im moving out the big ones as soon as I either get my 10 gallon betta tank to finish cycling(to have a 3 gallon from my Male) or get a cheap 5 gallon for them.

The plants all I can say is growth every night. They always seem to just get bigger over night.

I have added a little desk light that is running a PLant bulb, just to help with the back plants. I can not seem to find a full hood/light bar for this tank. its so odd ball.

I was thinking of maybe getting some underwater 10k LEDs but I dont know they seem to be doing well this way.

Im not going to trim them yet, as my puffers are getting ordered this weekend! :dance::dance::dance::dance:

Maybe once they settle in Ill trim the plants back a tad, but for now I want as much coverage I can get.

Attachments

• Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    252.8 KB · Views: 378
Back
Top Bottom