FINALLY Getting a TDS Meter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CCXGT

Aquarium Advice Addict
So, after a couple months of GHA trying to take off I've finally decided to get a TDS meter and test for the one thing I've avoided doing so far.

I'm currently using (bad) LFS RO water, I've actually been allowed in the 'behind the scenes' area of the LFS and they have quite a decent setup in there.

I'm just 99% sure that there isn't a single employee who is competent enough to know to replace a membrane every once in a while (even though they sell them).

The boss of the Aquatics Dept has been away for about 6 months now so I have no clue what's going on in there.

When I get the chance to test it, I'll be amazed if it's under 100ppm.

I'll test the RO, our tap water and perhaps some bottled water.

Depending on the results I may need to source my water more carefully in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

TDS meters are quite useful. For the record, I'm not sure about the availability around you for getting distilled water, I've been running my reef tank off of gallon jugs of distilled from Walmart for a long time. Is my reef perfect? No. Does it function with algae growing? Yes. It is all about what you do to work around it that helps, be it skimming, filter media, refugium, ATS...so on.

The LFS water near me is between 6 and 11. I have an RODI system but what I make in a day, they do in 15 mins

I did some googling and found 2 more LFS's who offer RO, one is about a 5 min drive away and the other is about 30...

It's just a matter of time..

The LFS water near me is between 6 and 11. I have an RODI system but what I make in a day, they do in 15 mins

From what I've read 6/11 isn't that bad right?

I know the ultimate goal is to hit 0 but it's a tad unrealistic for a lot of people.

I was reading about a guy over in America who can get his well water down to 0ppm but it costs him a DI cartridge every 30G..

It's ridiculous.

I can get mine down to '0' but I need a pump as since I moved my water pressure dropped to about 50PSI. I'm not sure if it would stay at '0' with increased water pressure. I have a 3 stage with DI resin

Plus a guy I work with uses tap water with dechlorinater and lets it sit overnight uncovered and has absolutely no problem. Different strokes and all that

Well, I have the results.

Tap water: 45ppm

LFS1: 20ppm

LFS2: 40ppm

So... What to do now?
Can I run a reef with 20ppm TDS?

Why can't you? I run my reef on distilled water and it is far from 0. It isn't the best, but it is what I have after giving the sink up. Washing dishes and having a 'functional' kitchen are overrated.
Just expect to have algae and run means to try to combat it. I use GFO, a skimmer, and just finished an algae turf scrubber project.

Just get a rodi unit when funds come available. Wait for a sale on the units like many of the ecommerce stores we buy from in this hobby have. I don't have experience with distilled water since I got my unit before I even had a tank because everyone on the forums suggested getting one so I pulled the trigger. I would imagine it's better financially in the long run then paying for all the media you will go through. Just my two cents.

Just get a rodi unit when funds come available. Wait for a sale on the units like many of the ecommerce stores we buy from in this hobby have. I don't have experience with distilled water since I got my unit before I even had a tank because everyone on the forums suggested getting one so I pulled the trigger. I would imagine it's better financially in the long run then paying for all the media you will go through. Just my two cents.

It's not the funds that are the problem. It's the convincing the parents whose house I live in to let me run it.

Also, I've NEVER seen an RODI unit, neither in use or for sale.

Not in any supermarket or LFS.

That and I still think it's a complete waste for 2 gallons a week.

Why can't you? I run my reef on distilled water and it is far from 0. It isn't the best, but it is what I have after giving the sink up. Washing dishes and having a 'functional' kitchen are overrated.
Just expect to have algae and run means to try to combat it. I use GFO, a skimmer, and just finished an algae turf scrubber project.

Yeah, seems like I'll have to buff up my filtration.

I've been looking for a skimmer for a while but I have limited space in the tank so a HoB one would be preferable.

Another update.

So I found a THIRD LFS.

Picked up some water, it tested for 4ppm.

I'll probably make the switch now.

Back
Top Bottom