Finally starting my 46 gal planted fresh water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBones

Aquarium Advice Regular
Ok after a year of looking at it, I'm finally starting. Lets see if I can post some pictures.

It's a murky bog at the moment. I rinsed the substrate for an hour and it still is cloudy. I'm going to let it settle for a while and maybe run my filter with cheese clothe and see if that doesn't clear it up a bit.

Attachments

• image-4117688008.jpg
    image-4117688008.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 79
  • image-2034358156.jpg
    image-2034358156.jpg
    151.5 KB · Views: 74
  • image-4202417866.jpg
    image-4202417866.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 76
  • image-2120867767.jpg
    image-2120867767.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 82
For substrate, I'm using a combination of Flourite Black Sand and Super Naturals Premium Aquarium Substrate, black as well. Two 15lb bags of Flourite to one 20lb bag of Super.

Well ran my filter all night with cheese clothe in it and it has cleared it a bit.

I tested my PH level of both the tank and straight tap water and it appears we have 7.6 PH in my building. According to some research, my city, Toronto, is suppose to have 7.0 PH. So not sure how to explain that. Worse case I'll run some peat in my filter

I'm not sure if the GH yet, my "Master Test Kit" doesn't have a GH test. But it is suppose to be relatively soft.

I'm going to set up my filter with actual filter material, Bio-balls and ceramic disks, tomorrow and then throw in a couple of frozen shrimp to start my fish less cycle and on the weekend I will be making the trek to the aquarium store to purchase a few plants. I'm thinking of some Sagittaria subulata/kurtziana and some Water Hyssop and Java Fern. We'll see what the have to offer.

Well did a major water change, 75%, and that has helped. Still a ways to go though before crystal.
Added a few rocks and decorations. All I'm going to as well.

Attachments

• image-2992429783.jpg
    image-2992429783.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 80
I cant wait to see it finished with fish. It looks like its going to be a very pretty tank.

Ok water has cleared up, PH still 7.5 but I'm not going to worry too much about that right now.

Starting my Fishless Cycle. Since pure ammonia is not commercially available here in Canada. Something about being able to make bombs or some crap like that, any who I digress. To start my Fishless cycle I have dropped one frozen shrimp into the water to float around in and get all yucky and raise the ammonia levels up there. Fingers crossed.

Plants this weekend!

Thank you, it does have amazing characteristics and potential about it doesn't it.

Wow, now that was a trip and a half. Trying to tie java ferns onto bog root and rock underwater! I almost stuck my head under to better see what I was doing.

But here's how it looks now.

Attachments

• image-4082617684.jpg
    image-4082617684.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 82
  • image-3982546564.jpg
    image-3982546564.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 82
I'm wondering if I should turn the light on right away or let them settle a awhile first? I installed a new bulb as well. A 30W Aqua-Gro bulb.

Also if your are doing plants, you should remove the bubbles. Google- aquarium de gasing. Made a big difference in my tank.

I'm going to setup a CO2 generator tonight.

I've found some simple plans for a CO2 reactor which I'm going to see if I can purchase the required materials and construct.

Question: would anyone know the formula to figure out proper pipe dimensions for the reactor based on flow rate?

Attachments

• image-2889992070.jpg
    image-2889992070.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 61
Well Canadian Tire by my place sucks! They had none of the parts for the reactor. Will try Rona maybe tonight. CO2 generator is set up but didn't see much action this morning, maybe I did something wrong.

Found plans for an even easier CO2 reactor with readily available part however a bit more expensive. I'm sure I could have found them cheaper but was too eggar.
My first attempt at a CO2 generator failed, so I started another on and this morning it was working better.

Back
Top Bottom