Finnex VS. Current USA

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puckhog429

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So on my 29 gallon currently I have a 36 watt 2 bulb coralife aqualight fixture. I have been thinking about upgrading the lighting and making it a higher tech tank. Right now im dosing excel almost daily and api leaf zone. The lighting I have just isnt cutting it. its not powerful enough to reach the lower parts of my ludwigia. So for upgrading I was thinking about just getting another aqulight to double the power. But when I priced it out it was going to be only 30 bucks more to get a finnex or current usa led fixture. This is where im torn. I already have a finnex that I really like but I think the Satellite is just way cooler. What would you reccomend? I was thinking about possibly doing co2 in the future but I might not. The plants im growing in the 29 are low to medium light plants.
Thanks

-Puck

Check out the exotic e series, it's on sale on fosters, it's the sat + on a whole case of red bull.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks, Ill check it out. thats where I was gonna order from. I have a co2 question. and i think you just set co2 up right? If I were to go high tech how much would it cost to setup a co2 system? Also I want to start doing dry ferts but am clueless about that too. What are some options?

Thanks, Ill check it out. thats where I was gonna order from. I have a co2 question. and i think you just set co2 up right? If I were to go high tech how much would it cost to setup a co2 system? Also I want to start doing dry ferts but am clueless about that too. What are some options?

I just ordered it.. should be setting it up soon though, I've got about $175 into the while system, that's probably about as cheap as pressurized goes new. You could rig up a diy reactor. For dry ferts, get the pps pro starter pack from gla, it's cheap and easy, just read the directions twice haha

I will look into that. I saw that ecoxotic light! Whyd you tell me about that. lol I want it but 180 bucks is a lot. So I guess im back down to sat+ or finnex. Which one?

-puck

That's the one! You'll need to run 2 of the others to get to high light, it's a tall tank, you need par power man!

I was going to say that to actually, you could get a finnex planted plus and then double down when you're ready to go high tech.. do you dose glut? Metricide? ?
Edit, sorry, excel.. you may want to consider making the switch, big dollar difference there

So add the planted plus to the t5. And get the pps pro starter pack. Due to the price i dont think I will ever get co2. What is glut and metricide? Are they an alternative to excel? Should they be used along with the pps?
Thanks
-puck

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

So add the planted plus to the t5. And get the pps pro starter pack. Due to the price i dont think I will ever get co2. What is glut and metricide? Are they an alternative to excel? Should they be used along with the pps?
Thanks
-puck

If you run the 2 together you'll be up there on lighting so you'll need to dose a lot of excel, glut or metricide is basically the same thing as excel except it's twice as strong, a gallon is $30 on amazon, i use it a plug with many other members on here. It should be used with the ferts yes. It is a liquid carbon for the plants to use, it also acts as a mild algaecide.

Ok so is metricide for aquariums. Like does it have dosing instructions on it? Also how often do you dose it? So if i get the planted plus I will have high light and may have algae problems if I dont does excel or metricide regularly? When I go on vacations and stuff is it ok to stop dosing the pps and or metricide?
Thanks
Puck

Ok so is metricide for aquariums. Like does it have dosing instructions on it? Also how often do you dose it? So if i get the planted plus I will have high light and may have algae problems if I dont does excel or metricide regularly? When I go on vacations and stuff is it ok to stop dosing the pps and or metricide?
Thanks
Puck

It's for anything but aquariums but it works.. you dose it half strength of excel doses, i dose alot, like almost 1ml/gal.. dose it daily, if you run both lights you'll definitely need ferts and glut, it will take some fine tuning to strike a balance. you'll need timers and tweaking lighting, it's alot more work than just turning on the lights and feeding the fish;)

Theres a 30 in ray 2 on craigslist gor 50 bucks close to me. Would this be too much light when used with my t5? Could i run just this?

Just run the ray 2, see how old it is first.. does it have the moonlight feature?? May be the old fugeray

I didn't think the ray 2 had moonlight features?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok, ya it will be pretty strong its own

Back
Top Bottom