Fire mouth with African cichlids?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Runsoncoffee

Aquarium Advice Regular
I’m looking into getting a 75 gallon tank and want to stock it with a community of cichlids. I’d really love to have a fire mouth cichlid or two in there, but I’ve read very mixed things on what tank mates are good for them. I’ve read that they do well with community tanks, and that they don’t do well with African cichlids, but yet they’re good tank mates for Jack Dempseys which are known to be quite aggressive. I’m unsure what to go off of, and understand that with cichlids temperament there’s no real guarantee of anything. Could a fire mouth cichlid be kept with African cichlids if proper measures are taken to disperse aggression?

I would advise against keeping africans with anything other than Africans. You could do firemouth and blue acara

I would advise against keeping africans with anything other than Africans. You could do firemouth and blue acara

Thanks so much, would you recommend any other tank mates for the fire mouth, cichlid or otherwise? They’re going to be the centerpiece of the tank, but I would like some variety if possible.

Anything they cannot eat really. Rainbow fish would add color and action, similar to Africans

Back
Top Bottom