first aquascape: 55g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zooking12

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so I have a 55 gallon aquarium 48 in long, 20 inches tall, 12 inches wide. I'm saving up for a hood, but i wont be able to keep the lights on for very long a day. Im looking for hardy plants with minimal requirements in lighting. I have about 3 in substrate: 1/4 sand, 1/4 flourite red, and the rest regular gravel. although there is like 6% pea gravel in there. And I am going to have a bunch of fish in there, too. Any helpful info is welcome.:thanks:

java moss,java fern,anubias. why wont you be able to have it on very long?

because my parentsdont like it. But it does get some sunlight. and ill have some insanely bright lights on it. Flourescent. Cuttin down on costs.:thanks:

because my parentsdont like it. But it does get some sunlight. and ill have some insanely bright lights on it. Flourescent. Cuttin down on costs.:thanks:
oh,ok. the suggestions i made above still would work

Thanks for the help. Are there any more plants?
dpends on the lighting,whats the wattage? do they have reflecters?
going out on a limb,id say hornwort could aslo work. ive got 30 watts of t8 aquaglo lighting with decent reflectore amd its doing great in my 55

Ok so I have a 55 gallon aquarium 48 in long, 20 inches tall, 12 inches wide. I'm saving up for a hood, but i wont be able to keep the lights on for very long a day. Im looking for hardy plants with minimal requirements in lighting. I have about 3 in substrate: 1/4 sand, 1/4 flourite red, and the rest regular gravel. although there is like 6% pea gravel in there. And I am going to have a bunch of fish in there, too. Any helpful info is welcome.:thanks:
Don't let natural sunlight in the tank, It will cause algae problems.
What type of lights are you getting? Wattage? K?
What kind of fish do you want?

I kinda dont know the wattage yet. I havent bought anything yet. But i do already have some hornwort and anacharis floating throughout my tanks. I also have a litle java moss and 2 jungle valis plants. I also have some peace lilies that i grow out of water. I take the sproutlets and plant them in my aquarium. They all seem okay exept they did grow better under lights.

Im getting a pair of bolivian rams, 12 cardinals, 8 bleeding hearts or black phantoms, 6 bronze cories, and maybe some cherry barbs or zebra danios. I think i might just go for a biotope. And i havent had any algae problems yet.

Thanks. I think i might try to get that, but i always like to try and support the lfs first. But are there any plants that would just "survive" in my tank?

I have to laugh when parents say "don't turn on the light in the tank it wastes so much energy". My power bill has gone up maybe 3 bucks since adding my fish tank, unless you have 5+ tanks you're not really going to notice a difference. I'd bet money your moms hair dryer and straightener uses more energy in a couple mins than your tank does all day.

Anyway sounds like a great build and keep us updated on the progress.

Awesome. But I do trade fish with the lfs, so i might get a good deal. Besides, im not looking for something too complicated. But thanks anyway!!!

Mogurako said:
I have to laugh when parents say "don't turn on the light in the tank it wastes so much energy". My power bill has gone up maybe 3 bucks since adding my fish tank, unless you have 5+ tanks you're not really going to notice a difference. I'd bet money your moms hair dryer and straightener uses more energy in a couple mins than your tank does all day.

Anyway sounds like a great build and keep us updated on the progress.

Hahaha HIlarious!!! As true as that is, my parents dont see it that way. Check out my tank.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110727_090126.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110727_090126.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 152
Thanks. The only thing is that I can never get my aquariums to look like the ones in the book. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom