first chiclid tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crazyjim30

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm looking to set up a 29g tank with chiclids. I've had a few tanks with tetras and the like and I think I'm ready for chiclids. Can anyone suggest a stocking scheme for a beginner? Also, our local water supply (well water) has a very high sodium content. I'm not sure if that would impact selection, but I've included the info just in case.

For a 29 I'd look into dwarves or shellies. Both of which are AWESOME! severum mama just posted about her apistos spawning. And those parents are good looking!

last week I got into a discussion with a lady I'd just met. When she told me about her husband's fish, I asked what kind of fish he kept. She thought for a long minute. Popped up and said "oh! I know what it is! Its a chicklet!"

Lmao! Your spelling reminded me of that

In a 29g you could get away with a pair of Cryptoheros genus of fish, that would include nanoluteus, panamensis, or myrnae. These stay fairly small are not overly aggressive. There are loads of others more common fish in that genus like sajica, cutteri, and honduran sp, but any of them are a great addition to any new world set up.

Wouldn't yellow labs be ok in his size tank? I am not a cichlid person so correct me if i am wrong.

No they wouldnt because they like longer swimming spaces. Also they like being in groups and just a single yellow lab is just not right and you wont see the same behaviour as you would if there were more

Jason7894561230 said:
No they wouldnt because they like longer swimming spaces. Also they like being in groups and just a single yellow lab is just not right and you wont see the same behaviour as you would if there were more

I think you can do 4 yellow labs in a 29.Either an all male or an all female tank to keep aggression down.I'll probably get slated for this comment but it's my opinion and I think it would work as this is a 4" fish.

garfy said:
I think you can do 4 yellow labs in a 29.Either an all male or an all female tank to keep aggression down.I'll probably get slated for this comment but it's my opinion and I think it would work as this is a 4" fish.

Lol not slated but its not completely accurate. Labs can grow to 5" and minimum tank size is recommended at 55 gallons. Labs will be severely stunted in a 29 IMO

Same goes for a 37

I have about 8 yellow labs in my 143 which are all fully grown adults and none are over 4" even the dominant male.I don't think a 37 would stunt their growth at all.I would only recommend yellow labs in this instance because they are fairly passive compared to other mbuna.

garfy said:
I have about 8 yellow labs in my 143 which are all fully grown adults and none are over 4" even the dominant male.I don't think a 37 would stunt their growth at all.I would only recommend yellow labs in this instance because they are fairly passive compared to other mbuna.
I understand what you're saying.
I'm not saying the WILL pass 4" but there's a possibility. While they are passive I don't agree with stocking them in that tank size. I'm really not trying to debate this, but I do feel that the fish will meet their demise in that tank. They like to and deserve to swim!
Again, I highly recommend looking into shellies.

Sorry garfy if I'm coming off as rude, I mean this with nothing but respect

I have a dwarf gourami, Cory's and ghost shrimp and it's pretty peaceful. Plus dwarf gouramis are really pretty fish. You could probably do a school of danios or platys too. I'm not sure about tetras or guppies

Back
Top Bottom