First encounter with Algae :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ill have to get a liquid test this weekend. I don't like the strips. My tank is a ten gallon with 4 peppered corys, 7 red cherry shrimp, 1 bristlenose pleco, and 1 serpae tetra. And I have2 anubias and 4 java ferns.

Okay, I'd say more than likely it is due to excess nitrates. You have a very heavily stocked tank, especially with the Bristlenose. Once you see what your nitrates really are you can adjust accordingly. I'm gonna say they are probably a smidge high for what you want in a planted tank (10ppm target). If this is the case I'd recommend you try growing Anacharis and/or Hornwort as they would both help to suck up nitrates and hopefully aid you in your battle against algae.

I'm not going to preach too much as I'm sure you are aware. Bristlenoses really need a 20g+, the Cory's should have a couple more to make them have a school of six, and the Serpae really needs to have a school of six. Not meaning to rant, but if you had proper schools and the Pleco you really would need a 20g.

Anyway, hope we can get this algae straightened out! (y)

yeah i know all my fish need a larger aquarium. thats why im getting a 36 gallon tank this weekend. Long story on how i ended up with them. But they should be fine till i get the bigger tank.

Back
Top Bottom