First fish in!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JumperAlex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I added a Foxface lo and a kole tang to my cycled 90g tank yesterday. They both seem to be doing okay but the Foxface will occasionally get brown splochy marks on him that look almost like a camouflage pattern and then go back to normal yellow. Is this normal? I'm also curious about how long it might take for them to get more comfortable in the tank and not hide so much. Also curious about feeding them, I don't want to put the food in the tank and them not come out to eat it. Suggestions?

image-1603436935.jpg

Yes the coloration is normal on the foxface. They should be out and about before you know it.

Definitely normal. At night they'll wear "pjs" and have a camouflage pattern. Mine was shy for a couple weeks, but is more out in the open. Make sure to provide nori sheets for food since they are both herbivores. Take a 3 inch piece or more of nori (seaweed) on attach it on a small rock with a rubber band. I do this every other day or less. I've had my foxface for a month or more and it still gets a little scared when I come up to the tank. They are docile fish.

I have the seaweed I just didn't know if that would be enough food for them, ive read that they also like mysis shrimp.

Yeah they might eat it. My foxface didn't take interest until recently. Try it, but don't put too much...don't want a lot of waste.

As the above post said they are herbivores. They can get along without the shrimp but not the greens.

My foxface will destroy a 3 inch piece of seaweed in about an hour. Mine is a big baby, very skittish.

I have a Fox face and she eats nor I on a veggie clip
Also devours flake food, brine shrimp and mysis shrimp
Was skittish at first but now hovers when she sees me come to the tank
One question, it has gotten to the point of almost eating from my hand
How do they use there venomous dorsil fins?
DJB

It they are stuck up and poke you you'll get a nice poke they usually don't mea to hurt people they might bump into your hand and get you so be careful it you hand feed, the venom is mostly for in they wild to scare of bigger fish and if they get eaten it will poison the fish that at them because of them.

Thanks for the advice, and will not hand feed
They flex their spine when a fish gets too close not in an aggressive manner but more back off'

Back
Top Bottom