First fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
After finally get my ammonia up to 4, 24 hours later I tested and it was very close of not 0. Is this possible? I thought it took a couple of days to weeks to see these results. I just started cycle like 2 days ago. There is no seeded media. The tank is used but I cleaned it up with vinegar.

API master test kit. It's a 29 gallon biocube. And I dosed it up to 4 ppm. I'm not sure exact measurement cause it took a couple times adding and testing.

What type of ammonia are you using? Anything is possible but i do find this a bit strange that your amm would drop this quick on a new tank with no seeded media. My best guess would be a testing error. I would dose your amm back up to 4ppm. Make sure you wait atleast 15mins before testing your tank for amm levels so the water/amm has time to circulate to make sure you get the right results. Let us know how things look in 24hrs! :)

Ok. Well that what happened last night and I dosed it back up so I will post tonight what the results are. And the ammonia is from the dollar store couldn't find any without dyes or perfumes.

Does the amm you are using have anything in it such as dyes or perfumes? I know i have read before about others using certain brands of dollar store amm & it took a huge amount of amm to get their tanks to read 4ppm because the dollar store stuff can be quite diluted.

It doesn't have anything like that but it did take a few tablespoons to get it to 4ppm. Does dilution have anything to do with this problem? I would think as long as I get it to 4 ppm I would be good.

Ok- second question, does the bottle foam when you shake it? I think your amm may be the issue here. It should only take a few mls to get your tank to 4ppm (equivalent of a @ teaspoon). Im not sure where you are located but have you tried the Ace hardware store locator to see if theres one in your area? Another option would be to purchase some online (amazon).

Yesterday's results were ammonia=0 ppm, trites= .25 ppm, trates= 40/80ppm( couldn't decide between the 2). These levels have gone up because the tap water is 0 all across. I will test again tonight(these were last night results,24 hours after dosing to 4ppm ammonia) and post again. Please let me know if the cycle is moving. Also added some plants. Will they be ok? Thank!

Ok. Tonight's results(24 hours after ammonia up to 4). 0ammonia. 0 nitrite. 80 nitrates. and I'm dosing ammonia to 4 again and will check again tomorrow night.

So does this mean it's close to being cycled? It's only been like 3 or 4 days. I was expecting weeks. But if it is even better!

So does this mean it's close to being cycled? It's only been like 3 or 4 days. I was expecting weeks. But if it is even better!

I'd be highly suspect of a tank being cycled in a few days without any form of seeded media. Did you add anything to the tank such as bacteria starters? What type of substrate are you using?

I didn't add anything and I'm using the gravel that came with the tank. I did clean it though so I wouldn't think the bacteria would still be there.

I didn't add anything and I'm using the gravel that came with the tank. I did clean it though so I wouldn't think the bacteria would still be there.

Ok, "came with the tank?" Did you buy everything new or is this a used set-up? If it's used, did a filter come with the tank and did you use it as well? Was it still wet when you got it? Had the tank had fish in it up until the time you got it, do you know? Just trying to figure this out. :)

Everything is used and it's a biocube so the filter is attached. The fish was in it up until I got it. It sat at my house for like 2 weeks with the bottom of the filter wet and gravel wet. I did find dead fry when I clean it. It did sort of freeze though(nothing harmed) because it was in my garage. I cleaned the tank with vinegar but the gravel I rinsed well. Hopefully that answers all questions.

Everything is used and it's a biocube so the filter is attached. The fish was in it up until I got it. It sat at my house for like 2 weeks with the bottom of the filter wet and gravel wet. I did find dead fry when I clean it. It did sort of freeze though(nothing harmed) because it was in my garage. I cleaned the tank with vinegar but the gravel I rinsed well. Hopefully that answers all questions.

Hm. So it's possible that some bacteria stayed alive during that time and that's why you are seeing fast cycling readings. I can't say 100% for sure of course but that's my guess. Normally bacteria need an ammonia source to feed on in order to stay alive although I don't know how long they can go without being fed; 2 weeks seems like a long time BUT if there was a dead fish in the tank that whole time it's possible that fed the bacteria.

Ok let's do this: Keep dosing ammonia for another few days at least and let's see what happens. If ammonia continues to drop to 0 and nitrites stay at 0 then you may be able to start adding a fish or two very slowly. Have you thought about what fish you wanted to get?

Reactions: jlk
Ok. Ya there was probably 5-10 dead fry and some very small snails found. And I was think dwarf puffers. And some sort of bottom feeder but I'm not sure what's compatible with the puffers.

Back
Top Bottom