First Fishless Cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pbkuhn123

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all,

I am just starting my first fishless cycle on a 120 gallon tank. Decorated with driftwood and sand substrate. Since I plan to move my school of silver dollars in there (they aren't full grown), I have used mostly artificial plants, except I threw in a couple small java ferns which they don't seem to eat. I am on day 3 the the cycle attempt. This is my third tank (I also have a fully cycled 5 gallon and 36 gallon). Since this is my first fishless cycle, I want to make sure I am doing it correctly. Here is what I have done so far:

Day 1: Filled tank. Declorinated water with Prime and dosed Seachem Stability (not sure if that was right, but I had them so I used them.) Dosed household ammonia to 4ppm (give or take). Took one of the dirty filter cartridges from my 36 (it has two HOB filters) and the one from my little 5 and swished them around in the water.

Day 2: Took about a cup or so of gravel from the 36 gallon wrapped in the end of a pair of nylons and dropped it in the tank. I also moved some 3 inch or so sized decorative rocks from 36 gallon to the new tank.

Day 3 (today): Tested ammonia early this morning, still at about 4ppm.

My questions are two fold:
1. Should I be doing anything different?
2. Will the media (gravel rocks etc) from my other tanks be effective enough for such a bigger tank or am I still in for a long road? :lol:

The dirty filter, substrate, and decoration from the old tank is going to help speed up the process, but it will take some time for the cycle to start running it's course. I would not be worried that the Ammonia is still high, although I probably would have started with a lesser concentration. Just test everyday at about the same time and eventually one day it will test at 0ppm basically overnight, then you will have to wait for the nitrite cycle to complete so you will get nitrate. You still have a little time to go, but you are doing the right things to get the cycle moving faster.

Thanks for the info! Added some more bacteria from the other tank and as of today ammonia lowered considerably and I think I am already getting trace readings of nitrite. Awesome! Sounds like I'm on the right road! Appreciate the feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom