First Fishtank in 6 or 7 Years...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Vase Maybe... though my mom soaps em, so I'm not sure that wouldn't kill the poor dear... but my father sold the fishtanks years ago. He might still have the fish only bucket around... I'm not sure you can sell that... though he may have thrown it out... but he definitely hasn't sold it. I know he Kept the syphons, and some of my plants, and the treasure chest, and Richy's Bubbling Robot jumper thing... there may be something in the basement with what's left of the fisth stuff.

8^)

No vase, he is better off in a large clear shoebox with a few pinky size punched holes..^_^. While keeping him company you have the lid open and when it is night or you are not near to prevent accidents, you lid it.

The thai breeders that use 1/2 gallon fry vases also have cheap child (Small handeed) labor for daily water changes.heh!

It is best that you can clean the container quick and easy and not have to sweat ftting your hand in or breaking it. Then when you return home you lower the level to a lil over his top fin for travel and if he spills over..water is easier to replace than to pick dirt asphalt and glass out of your betta.
And you have the bonus of using the container for storage when he has his tank.

For change and clean day, my daughter uses hard plastic, clear index boxes, She has a few fancy float candle jars we set on coffee warmers on our desks for visits.
But durng the cycles she was "storing" her bettas in shoe storage boxes. and had the bonus of using them later
:p

Well here I am at home in my town. I got the Heater I need at Bensons Petcenter. The Betas at Bensons looked really sad, but the ones at Eddies were really happy and swimmy, and the one I got was working on a bubble nest. Poor dear lost it (the nest) though when they poured him into another plastic cup, cuz the one he was in had a crack and was leaking slowly. He's got a red head but the rest of him is an iridecent Blue Green. They were out of ghost shrip and said to come back for thsoe next week. When I got home my father bestowed some of the stuff from our old fishtank on me, a small fishnet, a stand up thermometer, and a bottle of water ager crystal stuff.

Yay!

8^)

Hey! Where'd my post go?

^_^
A bi-color that isn't a marble..sounds really unique! Post pics!!!
Sounds likeb a cute lil guy.

Check the date on your water conditioner..to be be sure..
Heh, if he can bubble nest in acup, he'll be ecstatic in his tank! bSounds like a good beginning for you and your new lil friend! :)

Well I dunno what Marble means but I've noticed red on his bottom fin too, that I didn't see cuz the poor dear was sitting on it, most of the time.

Someone's gonna kick my ass but I've decided to scrap the heater idear for the time beaing, on accout of the tank lid is obstricting things, and I don't have the cutting tools I would need to cut a little hole in it without destroying the thing. The Thermometer I have in there says the water temperature is 76 Degrees at the moment though. I'll worry about the heat in the winter, as we are heading into summer at the moment, so it's only gonna get warmer in here.

*Ducks.*

Please don't hurt me!!! It's 76 Degrees!

Anyhow, I'm slowly introducing him to the tank water... and I'll have him acclimated before bed tonight.

8^)

Looks like you're doing well so far, I'm sure your betta will be happy in his new home. 76 is fine for a betta for now, but you will definately want to get a heater ASAP. Its also important to keep the temperature stable, as temperatures swings are stressfull to the fish. If you can, try and get some pics up!

I HAVE the heater, I just haven't got a way to cut the nessicary hole in my tank cover, for the top of the heater, and the cord to poke out. The temp should be relitively stable, as the way my heat is set up for my room, it don't get cold at night like some peoples house, cuz... it's too small for that. I'd freeze my ass off.

I'm going home for the summer in about a month, so I'll get my father to help me cut that hole when I'm home.

Question though, he seems to be darting all over the tank... I remember my roomates Beta Last year (Which was eaten by her cat when she braught it home fir Christmass Break last year) didn't move around this much... is he ok? or is he like, panicking or sommat cuz He's not used to this much water, or cuz of the filter sound or sommat?

8^)

Yes. The Water is Dechlorinated... I used Aqua safe on it, when I set it up before in preparation for the arrival of Fishy, It came with the fishtank. The Fish is stll unnamed, though I've been toying around with names... but have decided that he will absoloutly not be named Alpha or Master, as have been sugested to me.

I'm thinking maybe Zathrus, or Neroon, or Possibly Ith'sill'zah.

8^)

Edit April 12th 6:19est:- I've named the fish "Lecococ" (LAY-coh-coke) which, in Minbari, means both 'a small fish' and the pleasure you get from meeting someone for the first time.

8^D

How long should it be before I start to see Alge in the tank? Should I be worried if I don't? I remember having to scrape it off the glass in the tank I had as a Kid, but it's been early a week and there's not even a trace yet... should I worry about the lack of any alge in there? Or is that something that won't show up till later?

8^S

Don't worry. If you're lucky, you will never get it!

What you REALLY want is bacteria growing on the filter!

Oh... Ok... perhaps it doesn't show so well on undergravel...

*Sighs.*

I'm having a little trouble with my Betta... so if anyone could help me that would be great... earlier today I dropped in one to many food pellets, and I was trying to fish the extra out so I wouldn't overfeed him... and he tried to bite me!!!

Just a minute ago I put my hand in the tank to turn my stand up thermometer (It's weighted so it stands on the bottom of the tank,) he tried to bite me again!!!

I think my fish has decided he hates me...

How do I get him to stop biting me... without making him afraid of me?

8^)

He hasn't made a bubble nest that I've seen... the only bubbles in there are from the bubbler... do you think he's still sore over loosing the bubble nest he had in his cup in the store?

8^S

If he wants a nest, he'll just build another one. I wouldn't worry about him trying to bite you. One of my bettas is somewhat moody. Sometimes he'll let me stick my finger in there and he'll swim up next to it and let me "pet" him. (I am extremely careful and use absolutely no pressure) Other times, he'll try and bite me. Don't take it personal.

Back
Top Bottom