First FOWLR Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, so I ended up putting the canister on the tank, it's really doing a good job of getting some of the junk out of there that came off the rock once it was put in the tank. I tested to see if the rock was still indeed live, I put some pure ammonia (the same that i used to cycle some of my fw tanks), i dosed it up to 3ppm last night, this morning about 6 hours later, ammonia and nitrite was 0, nitrate was about 5ppm. I went to the lfs to look at their sw stuff since i'd never really looked other than in awe. I ended up getting a small turbo snail (cant remember the name, the guy said it wasnt one that got real big) and two margarita snails. I'm really starting to like this sw stuff, so much that more than likely when we move this summer, im going to set up a much bigger tank. Anyways, another question, i've got my sg at 1.024 right now, is that about right? I've heard so many numbers thrown out, im not real sure what to keep it at. Oh, and i'm definitely getting better lighting soon. I saw the corals and, well, as everybody told me, I want some!

1.024 is fine, 1.026 is ocean water though. Margarita snails are cold water species and will probably die. The Turbo may knock somethings over and topple some rocks so watch him. :) What kind of lights are you gonna get? T5HO's would cover your tank just fine. :)

Rookie.. if you are interested.. i have a 2x18w Nova Extreme fixture. It's 18" long.. so you could modify the legs or hang it to cover a 10G just fine. I was recommended this light by ccCapt and he said it would be fine for most coral, except for the really light-demanding SPS. It's also brand new lol.. haven't even used it once, only to check if it worked, and it does. It came with one daylight bulb and one actinic bulb, but the daylight bulb came busted though.. that's the only problem. I was going to use it for my 10G.. but i got a 25G cube instead. It has an actinic bulb that still works and it's new just like the fixture. Buying a replacement daylight bulb would probably cost you like 13$ shipped.

I'll throw it your way for 30$.. if you pay for shipping. ;D

Buying it new from a retail site would probably cost 50-60$.. so your basically getting a new one for half the price. No pressure though.. i'm just offering this to help the greater good. :) That IS if your making this 10G a reef.. ;)

Looks like Kenya tree corals to me . Keep it wet and you may find others as the water clears. That's the fun of the "Dark Side!".

img_1100680_0_20728073d6239169f82c4ea97c7ac36c.gif

ok, so tank looks 100 times better after adding the canister. I'll upload some pics tonight for suggestions. I've found what i think is a feather duster and a baby snail. I've also removed one aiptasia, i figure they'll be more since his tank was overrun by it.

Don't panic about the aiptasias and take your time removing them so that you don't cause them to spread more then they are now.

So here's what it looks like right now. Im totally open for ideas how to make it look better. It's not quite what i had planned, but whose plans ever come together right anyways?
img_1101092_0_59b8a796a78f917e407a36688f3f9584.jpg

img_1101092_1_9fbb695591c4c5da79bbcf918c5ed0ba.jpg

img_1101092_2_fd2211efefd989f78fe9791ba6110d8c.jpg

and here's the snail the guy said was a margarita snail, though it looks like none i've seen online...
img_1101092_3_2c2fe7e96d02e6153f625d292b1c0e5b.jpg

Oh, and i know cleaning the glass would help... too tired right now ;)

Cleaning the glass was my first thought! Real nice scaping though. I like the openest and flow of your rockwork.

Have you thought about trading the kenyas in? I mean you could probably use the store credit. And BTW i would love to do sw. But i have eficially run out of room. :( I have a really acquard space in my room i was debating doing a odd shaped sw or crab tank. Cant decide. I still say in the end i would do sw as i could get some of the coolest oddballs in FW. But i like corals so you never know.

I started with a 29 gallon wal~mart special with some FW fish... then found a LFS said I want one of those.... he said then you need SW... so I got a 70g tank and made a nice set-up leaked all over my house fixed it then had to move... now I'm setting up a 320g with a 110g on the bottom... the moral of the story is once you go SW you may get a FW as well but your heart will always be in the reef. :cool:

Im sorry, but my heart always will be with FW. I mean look at that face.

a_6Payara.jpg

I mean SW is cool, but i find FW fish so much more interesting, and the odds are endless with FW. People look at FW and only see the community tank, or mbuas when there is so much more.

Im sorry, but my heart always will be with FW. I mean look at that face.

a_6Payara.jpg

I mean SW is cool, but i find FW fish so much more interesting, and the odds are endless with FW. People look at FW and only see the community tank, or mbuas when there is so much more.

a face only a freshwater owner could love lol. and you have to have enough room for so many possibilities ;) lol at least in my circumstances

Let's try to focus on Jonathan's tank....don't want this thread to get out of hand. ;)

Looks good to me! I see lots of swim throughs and caves....perfect for the fish. Speaking of fish, have you thought about what you might like in your FOWLR? Just curious!

I'm starting to think more and more that its not going to be a fowlr for long. Im moving around mid may-early june. I'm pretty sure im going to be getting an 18" T5HO fixture within the next two weeks, so im going to make sure whatever fish i get are reef safe. I had sorta thought about a clown and a clown goby... would there be any problems there or is the tank too small for those two? I've also got what looks kinda like a bubble tipped anemone (though i know thats not what it is, just kinda resembles it) growing on one of the rocks. Its a light green color. any idea what it is? probably algae for all i know lol. So overall, the rockwork looks ok? i think it looks a little cluttered, but its kinda the look i was going for, just not quite exactly :)

Back
Top Bottom