first heated tank... advice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eja206

Aquarium Advice Activist
hi,
I have kept unheated tanks for a few years now, but I am thinking of getting my first heated tank soon, probably 30 litres or 45 litres (biorb or biolife tank). What fish should i look at keeping? as the tank i am thinking of getting is relatively small i want things that live well together or i can have quite a few of with no problems.
thanks, ellie xx

Something small obviously, maybe a small school of tetras (neons or cardinals) or a few guppies?
Maybe an otto cat for the bottom?

yes I have been thinking about guppies, they seem so gorgeous and different to anything i have had before. how many would you suggest for a 30 litre tank? or 45?
i also like the look of black skirt tetras, do you have any advice on them?
can those 2 species live together?
thanks xx

You are talking about roughly 10 gallons.
A general rule often used is about 1" of fish (adult size) per gallon.
You can stretch it some but if you go a lot more you will have problems with water quality.
Guppies= about 1-1/2"
Black Skirt Tetra= about 1-1/2" to 2"
They can live together but tetras like to school and should be kept in groups of 4 or more.
Off hand I am thinking with the 45 litre perhaps 3 fancy guppies (1 male and 2 females) and a school of 4 Tetras. With good filtration you may even be able to squeeze an otto cat in there for the bottom.

cool. yes i have had a quick look at the otto cat fish - they look really good and i would definitely think about getting one!

Back
Top Bottom