first planted tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Solarris

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 10 gallon tank that I am planning on starting up this weekend. I was debating between having a blue lobster or going for a planted tank with a few small fish and inverts. The more I think about it the more I am leaning toward a planted. I just have a few questions before I get started.

1. This would be a low light tank with no CO2. Would I need any kind of special substrate or could I use pool filter sand?

2. Could anyone recommend some plants other than java moss and java ferns?

3. Am I right in thinking you add the plants then start the cycle?

4. And lastly, until I think of something else ;), how do you make sure you don't get a bunch of snail hitch hikers on the plants? I am thinking I would like to put some nerite snails in there but didn't want to find myself with a population explosion from a bunch of hitch hikers.

A 10 gallon tank is to small for a blue lobster they would require at least a 20 so that should make your decision easier. I'm sure someone will chime in regarding the planted set up.

1 yes. co2 isnt a must. lots of people use sand.
2 anubias and crypts are more of my fav type of plants
3 you can do it at any time but plants will only help speed it up. though slow growers might not help too much.
4 plants and snails are pretty much hand in hand. personally i dont think they are a bad thing. you only get over ran if you over feed. you can also dip the plants that would kill any eggs or snails.

And just to let you know, the blue lobster (which is a crayfish) might think the plants are a salad bar. We had regular crayfish in our 120 and they decimated $100.00 worth of plants.

Thanks for the advice. I've decided I'm definitely doing the planted tank instead of the blue lobster. I'm planning on having Java Moss, Java Fern, Crypto, and Anubias. I'll be doing a fishless cycle then once that is finished I'll be adding nerite snails, hatchet fish, freshwater shrimp, and some other small fish, probably tetras. Now I really just need to decide on the substrate. I'm still leaning toward pool filter sand. I'm guessing that I'll need to add some ferts to the water. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what kind I should use?

A few thoughts:

1. You know, since it is only a 10g tank then all it would take would be ONE bag of a specialized plant substrate like flourite, flourite black sand, or eco-complete. So rather than spend $6-10 on a bag of pool filter sand (PFS), you could spend a little bit more ($15-20) and get a specialized substrate that will really help your plants thrive. Just something to think about. I have two planted 10g tanks with Flourite Black Sand and I just love it--love the look of it and love how my plants grow in it. Something to think about. It's also worth mentioning that if you use PFS you are likely going to have to buy some root tabs (fertilizer tabs) to bury in the substrate anyways, and so once you figure in even one package of those, the cost savings from buying the PFS basically disappears. For people who are setting up HUGE planted tanks (55 gal, 75 gal, etc.) they basically have to get PFS because buying enough specialized substrate for tanks that large would cost hundreds and hundreds of dollars. But for a 10g? My advice is don't even think twice, get a planted tank substrate. Your plants will love you for it.

2. In a planted tank, snails are a good thing. They eat decaying plant leaves (and thus help prevent those nutrients from leaching directly back into the water, which can contribute to algae blooms and also to generally unhealthy water quality). Now, some species of snails eat healthy plants and obviously you don't want those. But in general, snails and planted tanks go together. If your snail population is exploding that is a sign you are overfeeding the tank, and extra snails can easily be removed or else simply smashed against the glass where they will form a very nice and healthy snack for both fish and inverts. If you have a sand substrate, then one species of snail in particular (Malaysian Trumpet Snails, or MTS) are almost a necessity as they burrow in the sand and constantly keep the sand bed turned over, which prevents pockets of toxic gasses from building up, helps to aerate and oxygenate the sand, and helps to drag some of the fish poop down into the sand bed--which is a good thing--since it will slowly release its nutrients there where they will be available to plant roots.

3. It's hard to recommend plants (and hard to talk about ferts) without knowing your lighting level. Lighting level is going to determine what plants you can grow and will also, in general, determine how fast your plants will grow which is the big issue when it comes to ferts. In a low-light tank (~ 1 WPG) you probably could get away with no ferts at all, just relying on regular water changes to supply the trace nutrients your plants need. If you are in the 2-3 WPG range then you are starting to look at having to supplement the tank with a liquid carbon source (Flourish Excel), unless you use CO2, and will probably have to at least occasionalyl dose traces and perhaps macros (like nitrate, potassium, maybe phosphate) also. And above about 3 WPG you don't have a choice, you definitely need CO2 and a full-blown fertilizer regime.

If you tell us what light you have, or what light you are contemplating getting, then some of the plant experts here will surely be able to point you in the right direction regarding what sorts of plants would work well for you.

EDIT: attached a picture (an older one, but it will do) of one of my tanks with the flourite black sand substrate, so you can get a sense of what it looks like. Personally, I think the greens of the plants really "jump out" on the darker colored substrate, as compared to a light color like most PFS's. Also, when it comes to many freshwater inverts (most of the dwarf shrimp especially), they tend to display much bolder colors when they are in a tank with a dark substrate; whereas in tanks with a light-colored substrate, their colors are often more subdued or washed out. Something else to consider!

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    tank.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 74
Here's a picture of my 10g red cherry shrimp tank. This was just after I changed the substrate from sand to 3M color quartz. The plants have grown out and the tank has settled in since then.

I have crypts, swords (Echinodorus bleheri 'compacta', they look like amazon swords but stay smaller) java moss, ludwigia repens, corkscrew valisneria (which didn't really corkscrew much) Just some ideas.

Here's the lighting I use. It's easy to find and cheap compared to getting the high tech stuff. If your hood has the screw in, these will work just fine.

GE Daylight Energy Smart Spiral T3 Reviews, Specs, Ratings & Prices - Green Options Community

Attachments

• IMG_1795.JPG
    IMG_1795.JPG
    171.8 KB · Views: 76
Wow, thanks so much for all the advice! This will definitely help a lot! I really like the look of that Flourite Black Sand and with all the arguments you gave for it I've decided to go with that. As for lights I hadn't bought any bulbs yet but my hood does take the screw in bulbs so I'll just go pick up some of those GE bulbs you linked.

Back
Top Bottom