First Reef Aquarium Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The seller also offered sand at $1/lbs I'm not sure what kind of sand it is?

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130930_210425.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130930_210425.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 107
  • ForumRunner_20130930_210433.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130930_210433.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 124
Very nice rocks at a steal! And well, the sand doesn't look like any live or dry sand I've seen, maybe play sand..? Idk I'm not expert but that looks like masonry sand.

Okay, then I'm probably better off going a different direction with the sand.

Sand depends what you like. I don't like an extremely high flow tank. Just enough to keep everything suspended. I'm only running two mp60s in my 210 on about 60-70% power. If you want high flow then you'll need larger grain sand. I personally like the finer sand for my horseshoe crab, blenny and gobies. Plus I had plans of a blue dot ray but went a different route.

Yeah I am still researching the sand and looking for the cheapest plan. I technically have about $80 invested into the tank including my tank and stand so definitely looking to get some low priced.

Yeah I am still researching the sand and looking for the cheapest plan. I technically have about $80 invested into the tank including my tank and stand so definitely looking to get some low priced.

just go the dry route to save a few dollars, it all becomes live in time anyhow.

I like personally how rock from the ocean looks...but man things just end up sprouting out everywhere from it. If I would have known a year ago that algae would grow out of the rock to smother coral I wouldn't have done it. And I mean macro algae, not the nuisance algaes like hair. Dry rock it up!

Yeah, I'm thinking I will go the dry rock and sand way. I'm very patient so at this point I would be okay with a longer cycle.

Yeah, I'm thinking I will go the dry rock and sand way. I'm very patient so at this point I would be okay with a longer cycle.

then your already farther ahead then most people (including me) that jump into saltwater, patience is key. and i almost learned the hard way. but go the dry route with the rock and sand, and drop a table shrimp in there and forget about it for about 6wks, and youll be golden (y)

Yeah, I've seen rush jobs before so I learned from others mistakes.

Would never want to anger them.

On a different note, what would be a good return pump for the sump? It needs to go up over 5ft.

Also I have settled on some 120w dimmable led taotronic lights two of them. My girlfriend will be getting it for me on our anniversary

Would never want to anger them.

On a different note, what would be a good return pump for the sump? It needs to go up over 5ft.

Also I have settled on some 120w dimmable led taotronic lights two of them. My girlfriend will be getting it for me on our anniversary

Great lighting choice, you'll be very pleased with them. As far as the return pump, ill let a veteran chime in.

I recently upgraded to a SPeedwave DC 2640 GPH pump. With about 7' headloss, it exceeds my 900gph (measured) water change pump that has no headloss. the best part is the 6 speed settings, where to reduce flow you don't have to use a valve to increase headloss, you just reduce the power setting which means even less power consumption.

Speedwave = diablo = wave'something'

Speedwave Variable Speed DC Water Pump (2640 GPH)

I recently upgraded to a SPeedwave DC 2640 GPH pump. With about 7' headloss, it exceeds my 900gph (measured) water change pump that has no headloss. the best part is the 6 speed settings, where to reduce flow you don't have to use a valve to increase headloss, you just reduce the power setting which means even less power consumption.

Speedwave = diablo = wave'something'

Speedwave Variable Speed DC Water Pump (2640 GPH)

I would love to get this but definitely above my budget. I'm okay with setting up valves. Any other suggestions?

Just found an octopus protein skimmers for $50 and a wet dry 25 gallon $80 for both. My question is, should I use the 25 gallon as my sump or should I build a 55 gallon I found that is $30?

Bigger is always better in terms of a sump. I have a 20 long on my 55 reef and want more room already. Reef octopus skimmers are great, you should look into what it is rated for and skip the wet dry imo.

Sounds good I'll most likely convert the 55 into a sump and make a refugium and have the skimmer.

I haven't written in a while. I wanted to show you all some purchases today totaling $70 I need it was a pretty good deal.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20131023_231720.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131023_231720.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 91
  • ForumRunner_20131023_231732.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131023_231732.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 93
  • ForumRunner_20131023_231745.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131023_231745.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 88
  • ForumRunner_20131023_231800.jpg
    ForumRunner_20131023_231800.jpg