First Serious Attempt With A 29 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BioChem

Aquarium Advice Regular
After researching, planning and saving for numerous months, I've finally completed my high-tech 29 gal, and I couldn't be happier. I wanted to take advantage of the tank's depth, where I could create scale without compromising the high demanding plants, especially the carpeting ones. Now, of course I'm aware of PAR limitations with depth, but I'm happy to see some of my HC pearling with one Finnex Planted + 24/7 (at max setting).

I'm a fan of Mr. Dennis Wong's work and I wanted to go about this tank in his same fashion. Hence, I used drainage cells to give the Ohko Stones (35lbs worth) height, and I filled the cells with Hoffman Crushed Lava Rock {*Took 4.5 bags (2 liter size) to fill the cells, where each bag cost $3 at my local gardening store*}.

img_3386412_0_0c95c76229d9b31538e3d72fa2703e7d.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

img_3386412_1_c618b22975abf51d046a67542f48920b.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I decided to use Brightwell Aquatics Aqua Soil, for lack of ammonia leaching. Unfortunately the Ultra Fine was out of stock, but I luckily had tons of Seachem Flourite Black Sand put away from prior tank jobs. This stuff made planting easier, where the plants anchored much better than just with the Brightwell Fine size, alone.

Here's a list of the majority of the plants I used:

Hemianthus Callitrichoides, Micranthemum Monte Carlo, Pogostemon Helferi, Hygrophila Araguaia, Staurogyne repens, Hydrocotyle tripartita, Hygrophila siamensis, Didiplis diandra, Wisteria, Alternanthera reineckii mini, Fissidens moss

img_3386412_2_a0c1a5e0b600605712e491439cac5783.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Considering I don't have any ammonia leaching, nor fish or shrimp yet; I created my own solutions and decided to EI dose. I currently dose daily 0.5 ppm of iron, but I'm considering doubling that for my red plants. I daily alternate between Macros and Micros.

In conclusion, I hope this setup and dosing regimen promotes optimal plant growth. If not, I may have to consider additional lighting. CO2 is not and will not be the limiting factor.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
29 Gal - SunSun HW-504B - Finnex Planted + 24/7 - CO2 with Milwaukee MA957 and in-line CO2 Reactor - Eheim Skim350 - Brightwell Aquatics Aqua Soil - Seachem Flourite Black Sand - Drainage Cells

Attachments

• IMG_1478016265.001437.jpg
    IMG_1478016265.001437.jpg
    196.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
WOW! Gorgeous.

I started our 29 gallon out with lava rocks and pea gravel. Unfortunately, the lava rocks kept working their way up and held every bit of detritus they could.

Your setup looks amazing. Stunning even.

My sincerest thank you. I worked really hard on this.

Sorry to hear about your lava rock experience. I made sure I have a good 3-4 inches of aqua soil over the crushed lava rock..

I think my issue was one of angle of repose. Pea gravel can't fill in like soil, so everything made everything else fall. Maybe someday I'll put together something more planfully that will actually work!

Looks great! You dosing is very similar to mine as I have a 29g also. My plant growth is great with 30-40ppm of co2 and EI dosing. I haven't upped my iron at all and my reds are nice and strong. I'm at about 80 par at substrate level.
Loving the rock placements. Very nice clean tank!

Looks great! You dosing is very similar to mine as I have a 29g also. My plant growth is great with 30-40ppm of co2 and EI dosing. I haven't upped my iron at all and my reds are nice and strong. I'm at about 80 par at substrate level.
Loving the rock placements. Very nice clean tank!

80 PAR - that's great! What type of light fixture are you using? Are you using one or two of them?

That tank will be filled in no time. The hardscape is very nice.
Make sure that the stem plants in the back are properly spaced and planted separately.

80 PAR - that's great! What type of light fixture are you using? Are you using one or two of them?

I use 2 makemyled lights (can't get finnex here in Aus) there really strong on 100%. Capable of 125 par at 45cm depth. I use an auto controller and a program to dim them. There just 2 tubes that I've mounted to my tank hood with clips and rivets

Pictures below :)
IMG_1478049488.514639.jpgIMG_1478049507.948692.jpg

If you could tease the fissidens off of the stainless steel mesh, then you can tie it two one of the rocks with fishing line or thread.
I growing some of the plants you've listed. Once they get going, you will be trimming at least every 1-2 weeks.
@bert - you could land a plane with that fixture. I've heard of that company as an alternative to buildmyled.

Haha nah there only small tubes but there attached to a fully enclosed hood on the tank ;) would only be 20-30mm round ;)

Really nice scape. I'm looking to use a tad more rock in my new tank. I agree that it will fill in in no time.

If I was to be critical (baring in mind I'm not the greatest scaper in the world) I would say that the stems on the right are dampening the prominence of that brilliant stone you have placed but looking exciting nonetheless.

That tank will be filled in no time. The hardscape is very nice.
Make sure that the stem plants in the back are properly spaced and planted separately.

I tried to plant them individually, but they just float back up. I have Brightwell Medium under the Fine and they cant seem to anchor those rear plants. I wound up bunching them together with weights. Any suggestions?

Really nice scape. I'm looking to use a tad more rock in my new tank. I agree that it will fill in in no time.

If I was to be critical (baring in mind I'm not the greatest scaper in the world) I would say that the stems on the right are dampening the prominence of that brilliant stone you have placed but looking exciting nonetheless.

Many thanks. Its more of a plant anchoring thing. They don't seem to want to stay. Hence, the rear looks like it needs a bit of work. Any suggestions to keep them buried in place? Its only worked if I bunched them and weighed the bunch down.

Very nice work! Great hardscape and sense of depth.

Do you use planting tongs? Bury them deep, release the stem, and then wiggle them a bit before lifting them out to get the substrate to settle around the stem and hold it in place.

Back
Top Bottom