First signs of ich, what to do with Marimo moss ball?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ashleykw

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a 2 gallon tank with a female betta, 2 African dwarf frogs, and a tiny baby fish that the pet store just gave us for free (I think it's a platy), and a Marimo moss ball. Today, I noticed the betta had a clamped fin with a white spot, and the baby had a white speck on its head. I realize this is ich, and I'm planning on going to the store today to buy a 5-gallon tank, and I'm going to cycle it before adding the frogs. Then, I'm going to use the 2-gallon as a "sick tank" to treat the fish with salt. I was also wanting to look for a heater for the sick ones, but I'm not sure if they make them for small tanks. My questions: should I transfer the moss ball to the new 5 gallon with the frogs while I'm treating the fish in the sick tank? Will the moss ball transfer the parasite into the new tank? How long should I cycle the new tank before adding the frogs? Any advice I would greatly appreciate. I had a tank in the past that became infected with ich and lost all my fish, that was a long time ago when I was a kid. I realize this setup is overcrowded so I'm planning on keeping them all in the new 5 gallon and using the 2 gal as only a sick tank. Also, afterward, what do I do with the sick tank? Can I drain it and store it away until it may possibly be needed again? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom