FIRST Stocking: WC Question for Rummy Nose

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thegundog

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just completed my fishless cycle, I added my first fish this weekend with drip acclimation.

Yesterday I spent all after noon sitting on a bucket in front of my tank observing and enjoying the fish as they become acclimated to their new home - it was an awesome weekend!

Here's what I added:

6 Lampchop Rasbora's

7 Rummy Nose Tetra's

Through researching the Rummy Nose Tetra's they appear fairly sensitive to water parameter changes.

MY QUESTION

Given the sensitivity of the Rummies, should I conduct more frequent, but smaller, water changes to minimize the change in water parameters to try and provide a more stable water quality?

I was thinking 5 gallons at a time - twice a week (or more if conditions warrant). In my case, I believe, 5 gallons equates to roughly 17% of the total volume per water change or 35% per week with two 5 gallon changes.

Your thoughts?

Thanks!

29 Gallon - Planted - Aquaclear 50

I just added 6 Rummy's to my son's 10 gal ... I'm going to do normal PWC's but I'll take extra caution to ensure the PWC temp matches up with the tank.

However, I don't see anything wrong with your set idea. You could always do a third 5gal PWC if you felt you had to. Apparently, rummy's are great parameter indicators and their nose and tail colors get more vibrant the better suited your water is.

I'm really enjoying those rummies and I'm considering getting 6 more for my main tank.

I'm really enjoying those rummies and I'm considering getting 6 more for my main tank.

Me too!

I have 7 and I'm thinking about adding 4 more - they are wonderful to watch and absolutely beautiful - I love them...

If you do 5 gallons at a time, I suppose you could keep a 5 gallon bucket of water on hand with pre heated water to match the tank. I saw a heater on CL yesterday for $5.00.... Maybe I'm taking it too far but is there such a thing?

I work out of my house and my tank is in my office - I'm not going to get ANY work done!!!!! I just can not stop watching this tank!!!! :)

Thanks for the reply

I love rummies and have about a dozen of them. It's very true that they are sensitive to changes in water params. That said, it doesn't mean that you have to do more frequent water changes. It means that you have to keep steady params in your tank. As long as you have no major fluctuations, they should be fine.

Don't be surprised, though, if you lose one or two of your new school. For every 6-8 you buy, you should expect to lose some. Sad, but true.

Don't be surprised, though, if you lose one or two of your new school. For every 6-8 you buy, you should expect to lose some. Sad, but true.

I've read the same thing, you can lose one or two out of every 8 or so. So far my son's 6 are doing fine.

Keep the water parameters consistent and you should be fine.

Back
Top Bottom