First SW Tank - Soft Corals/Fish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kelsnels92

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Alrighty then! After months of practically giving up on the aquarium hobby (my last attempt broke my spirit after I was misinformed by my local fish store) I have decided to come back... with a bang, even!

An innocent (psh) journey to a new aquarium store was how it all started. "Just to look" I told myself. Of course, perhaps the bane of the whole trip was the fact that I brought my boyfriend along, who has been simply dying for a marine tank, but I in no way fought the darn boy's pleas. Between my own itch to get back into the business and his subdued excitement, I couldn't say no.

Hundreds of dollars and a couple trips to the fish store for water later, we ended up bringing home the following:

- A 34-gallon with a built-in filter system (no need for a sump)
- A stand (in need of some knobs)
- Protein Skimmer
- Two bags live sand
- 1 Live Rock
- Light Fixture
- SW Testing Kit
- 79-gallon heater
- Thermometer
- A plethora of buckets

Meh... At least I can now say I don't have to worry about having water jugs, yes?

Anywho, we got a great deal for everything, including the stand half-off, a free light, and a discount on the protein skimmer. The staff at the store were very helpful and, from what I can tell, I'll be able to ask them questions without getting weird looks like I did at the other store. The light was just kind of an after-thought that my bargain-hungry boyfriend snuck in, so we will probably get a better light (I love them LED lights) eventually but, since we have only sand, rock, and a heater, I think it's more decorative than anything else, lol.

The sand has nearly settled in the tank (my boyfriend got a little... creative with his method of putting the water in while I wasn't looking) so the glass is lightly covered with a film of sand. I'll put a picture up as soon as I can get around to clear it off.

Hopefully I'll be able to get through this thing without much trouble but any helpful hints that you may be able to give me would be most appreciated!

Eventual stocking plans have yet to be discussed, other than the fact that we won't be using any stony corals and that we are going to be good and use beginner/reef safe fish... At least, while we can resist! Soon we will have to go pick out a few more pieces of live rock. While I love the piece we picked out (it has a nice little hole in the middle for fishes to swim in and out of) I'm worried we won't find the perfect pieces!

First water level check will be either later tonight or in the morning. Till then... toodles, and I hope to entertain you all with this!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome to the salty side!

Looking forward to your tank. How much rock do you have atm? A good rule of thumb is 1-1.5lbs of rock. You'll also need a refractometer if you don't have one already to measure the salinity of your water.

Good luck and feel free to ask any questions!

459126_3503506554732_1483783909_33293051_377629157_o.jpg

Alrighty, so that's what I have so far. I still have to "dust" off the sand from the glass so that's why it looks sorta weird. And, clearly, we need at least two more rocks because just one is so... plain! The thermometer, I just realized, detached from the side so I'll have to figure out a way to better attach it.

Temperature is about 77-79 degrees. I'll probably lower the heater just a tad to make sure it doesn't get above 78, which, I believe, is the correct temperature for soft corals?

The light is an Aqualite but I'm going to keep it off for now to keep algae from going while it's cycling. I will be testing the levels when I get home from school so we shall see how we are doing!

@ AquaRick, thanks for commenting! I'm not sure if I need one, I believe the testing kit I purchased has a salinity tester but I'll double check when I get home! The only piece of rock I have is, I believe, 3.5 pounds. I'll probably be adding at least another 7-10 pounds. :)

Looks good! Just remember that rock is the best filtration out there for your tank. A good 30-45 lbs of rock in your tank would be great. (This measure is based off of wet rock. With dry rock you can get by on less).

Oh I see you meant pounds per gallon! I don't know what I thought you meant but... yea. Gotcha! In that case I will be adding much, much more. :3

As promised I tested the water parameters when I got home. This is what I found:

Day 1:
pH: 7.4-7.8
Ammonia: 0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Temp: 79 degrees

Turns out that I do need the refractometer in order to test the salinity, so I'll be picking one of those up as soon as I can. I turned the temperature down a bit, so I'll measure it again tomorrow to see if it is at a more appropriate level.

415905_3511373671405_1483783909_33297346_1546865548_o.jpg

Added 24 more pounds of live rock, which rounds me out to about 27 pounds. I may add another rock later on for aesthetic purposes but for now I'm pleased. There are lots of caves and swim-through areas for the eventual inhabitants, so I think they'll be pleased.

The price of it still kills me.

For your entertainment, today's water parameters!

Day 2:
pH: 7.8-8.0
Ammonia: 0-0.25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Temp: 79 degrees

DAY 5:
Ammonia 2.0
Nitrite 0.25
pH 7.8
Nitrate 10

Day 5! I've been dosing with ace janitorial ammonia. I think up to about 2-3 ppm (I'm not sure yet of the correct drops to get it to 4) and already I'm seeing nirtrites and nitrates which makes me think something is wrong?? Opinions?

Or is this just cycling super fast? 0-0

I'm sorry I don't know what BB is. ^^; Regardless, I'll be testing at the same time as yesterday when I get home to see how the levels are doing.

But yes the live rock was cured. I guess I just didnt think
Of the rock as being seeding material even though it pretty
Obviously is... xD

Looks like the cycle is going well. Nitrites will always be slower than ammonia. Just be patient, keep an eye on it, and keep dosing.

BB stands for beneficial bacteria.

@ Sniperhawk: Thanks! I'm still learning all the lingo...

Anyway, here are my levels about 24 hours after my last testing:

Day 6:
ph: 7.8-8.0
Ammonia: 1.0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.50-1.0 ppm
Nitrate: ~ 10 ppm
Temp: 80 degrees

Added 4 more drops of ammonia and I'll test again in about twenty minutes to see if that was enough to get me to that golden 4 ppm. Does anyone have prior experience with dosing a 34 gallon? If so, how much ammonia did you use?

In other news, I've found (or, probably more accurately finally noticed) my first hitchhikers! In addition to the featherdusters I finally took the time to search and not only noticed all my cute little copepods swimming around but also a little chiton! :) To my knowledge, he is good for the tank, correct? In any case, I've named him Glen and I think he may be intertidal because I found him chillin' just outside the waterline of my tank!

</thinks cool things are cool>

420473_3540043788140_1483783909_33310331_1279836548_n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom