First SW tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CobraSnake7

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just started a 30 gallon bowfront SW tank last week. I put about 40 pounds of old live sand in the bottom, then about 13 pounds of live rock, let it sit for about 5 days, and then put two Clown fish in it. So far, so good. I just put the fish in about 9 PM last nite. My hydrometer reads a consistant 1.018 to 1.020 in the last 6 days. I have a canister filter for a @60 gallon tank pumping water in and out. What I need to know is what else do I need. I have a large protein skimmer I could use, but do I need it? What live plants should I put in the tank. What lighting can I get by with because I don't plan on any coral?
I also have been doing fresh water for almost a year, having a 100, 90, 72BF, 20,and 2 55 gallon tanks. Any advice will be most helpful. Larry

I just started a 30 gallon bowfront SW tank last week. I put about 40 pounds of old live sand in the bottom, then about 13 pounds of live rock, let it sit for about 5 days, and then put two Clown fish in it. So far, so good.
You needed to cycle the tank before adding the fish

I just put the fish in about 9 PM last nite. My hydrometer reads a consistant 1.018 to 1.020 in the last 6 days.
Get yourself a refractometer and over the next few days raise it to 1.024-1.026

I have a canister filter for a @60 gallon tank pumping water in and out. What I need to know is what else do I need. I have a large protein skimmer I could use, but do I need it
If you have one you may as well use it.

What live plants should I put in the tank.
There's lots of macro algae's that are nice to look at

What lighting can I get by with because I don't plan on any coral?

Any lights will do
I also have been doing fresh water for almost a year, having a 100, 90, 72BF, 20,and 2 55 gallon tanks. Any advice will be most helpful. Larry

get yourself a liquid test kit ASAP as the ammonia will kill your clowns as you haven't cycled your tank,keep doing daily water changes to keep the amms down,if possible return the clowns and cycle the tank correctly(fishless cycle)

get yourself a liquid test kit ASAP as the ammonia will kill your clowns as you haven't cycled your tank,keep doing daily water changes to keep the amms down,if possible return the clowns and cycle the tank correctly(fishless cycle)

+1 to everything david said. If you can, return your fish to your LFS while your tank finishes cycling.

Back
Top Bottom